Photo from haustier.net
Coconut oil for hair is one of the best healing products that strengthens the shafts from the inside, revitalizing the appearance of the strands, turning them into shiny, supple, soft and manageable. Cold-pressed coconut oil is perfectly absorbed by warm curls, added to masks or shampoos.
Its use does not weigh down the hair, they remain light and elastic. The penetration of coconut oil inside the rod helps to strengthen the strands, protect against negative environmental factors, as well as healthy radiance and a luxurious look of hair.
Benefits and composition
Miracle Coconut Oil contains:
- 45% lauric acid, which has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral effects;
- 15% myristic acid, which restores the barrier functions of the skin, the protein balance of the hair, transporting useful oil components into the rods;
- 8% palmitic acid, acting as an emollient;
- 5% oleic acid, moisturizing, improving lipid metabolism, strengthening the hair structure;
- 4% caprylic acid with bacteriostatic effect, normalizes pH, enriches skin and hair cells with oxygen.
The benefits of hair oil are:
- structure restoration;
- nutrition of the scalp, follicles and rods;
- antibacterial action;
- maintaining the structure and shade of curls after aggressive procedures – perm or dyeing;
- smoothing strands.
Natural coconut oil for hair of two varieties is present on the market of cosmetic products under different labels. These prices are current as of March 2019.
Solid, unrefined coconut oil for hair
Pure Coconut Oil or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is pure first cold pressed hair oil. This variety is obtained from the dried kernels of palm fruits without the addition of any additional components. The price of 14 ounces – 414 ml – 550 rubles, the cost of 54 ounces, i.e. 1.6 liters – 1476-1677 rubles. Cold pressed coconut oil (Extra Virgin) 16 oz (454 g) can be bought for 904 rubles, 15 fl oz (444 ml) – for 703 rubles.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is a fragrant, white or yellowish solid mass that must be melted before each cosmetic session. Solid coconut oil is stored in a cool place and melted for hair treatment at 25°C.
Liquid, Refined Coconut Hair Oil
Refined Coconut Oil – refined coconut oil. It is obtained by mechanical, chemical and thermal cleaning, bleaching and further deodorization. The result is a liquid coconut oil for hair – a product without aroma, color and suspension. It is based on unsaturated fats. 15 fluid ounces of coconut oil (444 ml) will cost 458 rubles.
Unrefined coconut oil is considered the best for hair, as it contains natural components in an unchanged form, while liquid refined oil is purified from aromas and loses some of its beneficial substances. Often, refined coconut oil is a component of hair care products produced at the factories of the world’s leading brands.
To ensure quality hair care with the right coconut oil, you need to pay attention to it when buying:
- Compound. Preferably 100% oil content without foreign components.
- Aroma. It may be coconut or absent altogether. Chemical fragrances are signs of a poor-quality product.
- Color. Liquid coconut oil can range in color from clear to light straw yellow. The solidified natural oil has a gamut from milky to pale yellow tones. The bright yellow color of coconut oil is a sign of an insufficiently refined cosmetic product.
- texture. If the oil does not thicken and does not turn white at room temperature, it means that foreign impurities are present in its composition.
- Packaging. Glass containers are preferable to plastic. The last one must have the number 1 in a triangle or the inscription “does not contain BPA”.
- Best before date. Cold-pressed oils can be stored for no more than 6 months, refined – no more than 18 months.
- Manufacturer country. This product is imported from India, Malaysia, Egypt, Thailand and other regions with a warm climate. Similar products made by US factories are also valued.
Application in its purest form
Properly apply heated coconut oil to the hair with a thin layer from the palms, processing dry strands. If coconut extract is applied to wet hair, then it is almost impossible to wash it off.
Treatment technologies for different types of hair differ from each other:
- curls prone to increased dryness are oiled from the roots, combing with a comb along the entire length;
- hair prone to increased oiliness is treated with coconut oil only in the area of u200bu200bthe tips.
How to use coconut oil for hair? Its amount should be minimal, not exceeding 0.5-1 teaspoon for medium curls. 1-2 hours before shampooing, the product is left on the hair under a compress, then washed off.
The longer it soaks into the strands, the less it will remain on the surface and it will be easier to remove. Experts recommend keeping it for two hours.
If the hair is weakened, then a night wrap saves from hair loss and further baldness – warm coconut oil is left under a compress until the morning.
Due to the property of natural oil to harden at temperatures below 25 ° C, it is not recommended to wash it off with cool water. Qualitatively clean hair after applying coconut oil helps:
- Lemon juice and yolk , the film from which must first be removed by pouring out only the contents so that the strands do not acquire a specific smell. Additionally, you can drip 2-3 drops of tea tree oil or any other flavor. Add 5-6 drops of lemon juice to the whipped yolk and apply the mixture on the strands, massaging the scalp with light movements. The yolk absorbs well, and citric acid neutralizes fat. Curls will become fluffy and radiant.
- Rye or rice shampoo – in a ceramic bowl 3-4 tbsp. l. dilute rye or rice flour with boiling water and cool. You can also use a herbal decoction prepared in advance from chamomile or nettle. After thoroughly whisking the warm mixture with a whisk, apply to the strands, hold for about 10 minutes and rinse several times with water. You can rinse your head both under a stream and in a basin, gently washing the flour out of your hair by repeatedly dipping the strands in water freely. The hair will be cleaned without the mechanical action of the hands, and the scalp must be treated with the fingers.
- Both previous recipes. Mix 2 yolks without films, freshly squeezed juice of a small lemon, 3 tbsp. l. rye or rice flour, brewed with boiling water and cooled. Beat the product until smooth and divide into 2 portions, using them in stages. First, apply one of them, thoroughly washing the hair with water, then repeat the procedure.
- Shampoo, baking soda and sea salt. In 3 st. l. detergent pour 1 tbsp. l. soda and sea salt. After mixing the ingredients, process the strands 1 or 2 times. The drying properties of sodium bicarbonate and sea salt are good for oily strands, which will become soft and fluffy.
- Mustard powder. In a liter of water, dilute 2 tbsp. l. dry mustard and use as a multiple wash from a coconut mask. Mustard powder can also be added to shampoo or rye infusion. It absorbs oil well and washes hair to a shine.
Good fat-removing properties have:
- apple and table vinegar;
- lemon juice, lime;
- mustard powder;
- dry yeast;
- tomato juice without pulp and seeds;
- infusions of horsetail, wormwood, sage, rosemary, oak bark, bay leaf and thyme;
- skimmed milk and kefir;
- foamed tar soap;
- aspirin – 1 tablet, crushed into powder and added to shampoo.
You can also get rid of excess coconut oil from your hair with dry shampoo or cornstarch, sprinkling a teaspoon of the substance on your hair. Then carefully comb until the strands become even, shiny and silky.
You should not pour more powder, as it can dry out the scalp excessively. Brunettes need to take into account that such a procedure can lighten the tone of the hair. You can remove the white tint by washing your hair with liquid shampoo.
Of the constituent balms-washes, trichologists note harmful components:
- vodka or cognac, which dry out the scalp and break the structure of the strands;
- dishwashing detergents that destroy the result and destroy the hair.
Well-established recipes, the main component of which is coconut oil for different types of hair, help strengthen weakened strands, moisturize dry curls and fill the ends with vitality, as well as improve the appearance through home lamination and turn fine hairs into luxurious hair.
Coconut oil masks for damaged hair
Coconut oil from excessive hair loss, mixed in half with argan oil and vitamins A and E, will help to revive curls, which you need to take 3-5 drops or use the contents of Aevit pharmacy capsules. To enhance the effect, you can add 1 drop of essential extracts: ylang-ylang, grapefruit, chamomile or rosemary. The mixture is slightly warmed up, evenly distributed over the strands, wrapped in a compress and kept for 2 hours.
This mask is ideal for colored hair – it restores the structure of damaged tips and rods. It is used when the paint begins to actively wash off, the rods require care due to brittleness and loss.
The oil mix for baldness consists of the following oils:
- jojoba oils;
- wheat germ;
These ingredients can be mixed, varying the composition and proportions, and then used as masks or wraps.
Successfully fights against hair loss castor oil. It can be mixed in equal proportions with coconut and processed dry, thin strands. Wrapping your head with a compress of polyethylene and towels, leave overnight. In the morning, you need a lot of free time to wash the dense texture of castor oil from your hair. A noticeable effect appears after the first or second hair treatment session.
Coconut oil masks for dry hair
To moisturize even the driest hair with coconut oil, you can take a pure product or prepare a mask:
- 2 tbsp. l. coconut oil, mashed half avocado and 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. Exposure time – 30 minutes;
- 1 st. l. warm coconut oil extract and combine with 2 beaten egg yolks. Keep the composition for 30-40 minutes, then rinse;
- 2 tbsp. l. coconut oil is combined with carefully chopped pulp of half a banana and 1 tbsp. l. fat sour cream. The mass is slightly warmed up and rubbed into the hair. Wash off after 45-60 minutes.
Wrapping with coconut oil at night helps to revive the strands: 1 tbsp. l. oils of coconut, olive, avocado mixed with 1 tbsp. l. honey, warming up slightly in a steam bath or in a microwave, drip 5 drops of ylang-ylang and lemon aroma oils. In a warm form, apply to hair, wrap with a shower cap and a towel. In the morning, wash off with shampoo.
Coconut oil masks for oily hair
Coconut oil for oily hair is used only in combination with products that contain acid – lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, aspirin, lime juice, cranberry or sea buckthorn, grapefruit or rhubarb.
Quickly greasy strands are looked after with the help of masks:
- for 2 st. l. coconut extract add the same amount of Greek yogurt. Mix thoroughly, slightly warming up, then apply to the tips and cover with a compress. After an hour or two, wash off with sulfate-free shampoo and warm water;
- mix equal proportions of coconut oil and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Apply to the tips, wash off after 40-60 minutes;
- for 1-2 tbsp. l. of heated coconut oil drip 1-2 drops of aromatic oils – roses, mint and rosemary. The exposure time is 30-40 minutes.
Coconut oil masks for hair growth and thickness
For 2 st. l. coconut oil take 1 tbsp. l. liquid honey and add a pinch of cinnamon. The mixture is slightly heated in the microwave or on a steam bath and distributed over the rods, stepping back 2-3 cm from the roots. Coconut oil for hair growth will be more effective if you wrap your head with cling film and a towel. After 40-60 minutes, wash off in the usual way.
For 2 st. l. coconut add 1 tbsp. l. castor and 1 tbsp. l. burdock. Warm up and apply to hair. After an hour or two, rinse thoroughly using absorbent substances.
Masks with coconut oil for dandruff
Treatment of dandruff hair with pure coconut oil is not recommended by trichologists. This product has been awarded the 4th degree of comedogenicity, i.e. the ability to clog and clog pores. It also dries out the scalp quite a lot, but in combination with olive, neem, shea and argan oils, it does an excellent job with dandruff, seborrhea and other scalp problems.
To prepare a mask with coconut oil for dandruff, you need to mix and heat in a steam bath:
- 1 st. l. coconut oil;
- 1 st. l. olive oil;
- 1 h l. Teddy bear.
A homogeneous mass is applied by rubbing in a circular motion on the skin and hair, evenly distributing it to the very tips. This coconut mask is aged on curls under a warm compress for an hour at home.
To prepare the following mask, you need to combine by melting in a water bath:
- 2 st. l. coconut oil;
- 2 st. l. Teddy bear.
Pour 160 ml of kefir at room temperature and add 3-5 drops of tea tree, thyme, rosemary, lavender or ylang-ylang aroma oil. Coconut mask is applied to the surface of the head and distributed to the ends of the hair. You can keep it for 1-2 hours or more, if there is no discomfort.
Coconut oil hair masks
For hair ends, coconut oil combined with shea butter is an ideal option for treating and preventing hair breakage and excision. The ingredients are mixed, heated and applied to the problem area of the strands. Wash off after an hour or two.
Another option for applying a coconut mask for oily hair is the treatment of the tips with a heated natural product, and the rest of the hair and scalp are evenly covered with a fermented milk drink – yogurt or kefir without dyes and aromatic additives.
Masks with coconut oil for hair lamination
Gelatin is not suitable for every type of strands, drying them out, so girls often do hair lamination with coconut milk. Thanks to a large amount of proteins, this product nourishes, strengthens and significantly moisturizes each curl.
For 100 ml of coconut milk you need to take:
- 1 st. l. olive oil;
- juice of half a lemon;
- 1.5 st. l. corn starch.
Dilute starch in lemon juice without lumps. Pour coconut milk into a container, add olive oil and pour in the starch-lemon mixture. Heat on the stove without boiling. When the product thickens to a creamy state, it must be transferred to a small bowl.
After washing your hair, you need to blot your hair with a towel and apply a laminating mixture. Cover the hair with cellophane and a towel, rinse after 1-1.5 hours until the olive oil is completely removed.
For curly hair – coconut milk in the amount of 1.5 tbsp. l. or the same amount of coconut oil mixed with 2 tbsp. l. honey, banana pulp, cow’s milk to create a not too liquid consistency. Blend with a blender until smooth, so that no pieces of fruit remain. Apply the mass to the hair, cover them with a compress, rinse with shampoo after 40-60 minutes and restore with conditioner. Dry the curls by straightening them with a styler.
The traditional way of using oil extracts is combined with other methods, when coconut oil for dry, thin and frizzy hair is dripped into a suitable shampoo or conditioner. In addition to improving nutritional properties, this mixture softens curls and turns into flowing silk. This recipe is not suitable for fatty strands, as it makes them heavier and contributes to loss.
Side effects and contraindications
Coconut oil should not be applied to dry or damp hair if it is coarse, strong, and dried by aggressive treatments such as coloring or permanent waving. Curls that don’t need extra keratin may start to flake after using coconut oil.
Any type of strand will be negatively affected by the use of an excessive amount of oil composition. Excess coconut extract leads to a pH imbalance, which causes increased oiliness of the hair, hair loss, dandruff and other problems.
Having learned the secret of applying coconut oil hair masks, you need to use them with caution. For greasy strands, they are used no more than 2-4 times a month, for dry and brittle strands – no more than 2 times a week. Luxurious hair, thanks to coconut oil, is not an invention of marketers, it is able to turn exhausted curls into an amazing hairstyle.
Author: Elena Perevertneva,
especially for Mama66
Useful video about coconut oil for hair
author: Elena Perevertneva