From the esophagus to the intestines, passing through the stomach, the digestive tract is fragile. At each stage, the food is processed for the assimilation of liquids and nutrients. Over time, the mechanics become more lazy and capricious. Now is the time to adopt protective reflexes and find the right remedies, with the advice of Dr Serge Rafal (1) and Dr Marc Pérez (2). And if the troubles persist, we consult.
I have reflux
Characterized by a sour and irritating liquid that rises, the reflux can be imperceptible and cause pain at the base of the neck, reaching the jawbones. A hernia, a sphincter dysfunction, or even the oxidative effect of stress, can be involved.
– Avoid sparkling drinks, as well as raw fruits and vegetables.
– The right reflex: do not lie down after a meal and always raise the bust when lying down.
– Homeo solution: take Argentum nitricum or Sulfuricum acidum, in 5 CH, 3 granules after the meal and at the time of symptoms.
– Good plants: exotic basil is the star plant of digestion, especially in essential oil (ET). Massage the thorax after the meal with 1 drop mixed with 1 dose of sweet almond. On the phyto side, anise, fennel and lime – in herbal tea or bud macerate depending on availability – limit spasms.
I have a stomach ache
Do you feel a bar or a painful point, a burning sensation after a meal and especially in case of stress? Be careful not to leave it lying around. Gastritis (inflammation of the lining of the stomach) can turn to an ulcer.
– Avoid carbonated and caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea, cola…). On the plate, very mild on the fat (cold meats, meats in sauces, cheeses, etc.) which increases the secretion of gastric juices, on spices, citrus fruits, and unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables.
– The homeo solution: take Iris versicolor and / or Muriaticum acidum against burns, in 5 CH, 3 granules of each after a meal and at the time of symptoms.
– The good plants: mallow, lemon balm and liquorice, in herbal tea or in capsules, relieve burns. Prefer angelica and valerian against spasms. Also good: the fig tree bud macerate (50 drops morning and evening with a little water) and the essential oils of exotic basil or noble chamomile (2 drops twice a day in a ½ teaspoon of honey) .
– Self-massage: apply circular pressure from the breastbone to the navel, to pass the food bolus, and massage the painful points with your fingertips for 30 seconds.
I often have nausea
The feeling of nausea, after eating, is often due to some excess that tires the gall bladder.
– Limit fatty foods, dishes in sauce, and reduce the quantities in general, to leave the table light. Also avoid alcohol.
– The right reflex: walk 15 minutes, especially after a heavy meal.
– The homeo solution: take Nux Vomica, Ipeca or Antimonium crudum, in 5 CH, 3 granules in case of nausea.
– The good plants: 1 drop of EO peppermint to breathe for a breath of soothing freshness. Also chew ginger or basil leaves, and take a little lemon balm water, often associated with other digestive plants as in Eau des Carmes Boyer.
– Baking soda, or 1 tablet of Betaine Citrate available in pharmacies cut heartache well too.
I have bloating and gas
Feeling of heaviness and embarrassment, burping, gas are a source of discomfort and embarrassment. We treat them to live better.
– Favor carminative plants (anti-gas) such as fennel, coriander, cumin, ginger, dill, anise, etc., and cooked cheeses. Conversely, limit foods containing fodmaps (fermentable carbohydrates): white bread, pasta and cakes with wheat flour, apricot, garlic, artichoke, asparagus, beer … Finally, consider eating more slowly.
– Self-massage: wake up the spleen / pancreas meridian (from the foot, along the tibia, from the inside of the thigh to the belly) by massaging this axis. To do with the acupuncturist because the points are difficult to locate alone.
– The right reflex: move by performing hula hoop style movements with a hoop. And do a cure of activated charcoal from time to time when you feel the need.
– The good plants: try the EO of noble chamomile, cumin of the meadows, sweet fennel or tarragon of your choice (2 drops 2 to 3 times a day in a ½ teaspoon of honey). In phyto (herbal tea and / or capsules), target star anise, exotic basil and bergamot.
– The homeo solution: take Argentum nitricum, Lycopodium, Carbo vegetalis, in 5 CH 3 granules after the meal, or in 9 CH for a basic treatment, 3 granules once a day for 3 weeks.
To know : is your bloating accompanied by belching, abdominal pain, constipation and / or diarrhea? Be careful, you may be suffering from SIBO disease: make an appointment with your doctor!
I suffer from constipation
Slow transit, swollen belly, there are solutions to relieve.
– Consume more water (2 liters per day), ideally Hepar, and limit sugar. Also eat less cereals (especially white rice) and more plants rich in fiber (green beans, spinach, cauliflower, apples, pears, raspberries…). You can also add flax seeds in the salad, oat bran to sprinkle or in the preparation of pancake, psyllium or chia seeds in drinks or dairy products, boosting transit.
– The right reflex: more physical activity (brisk walking, swimming, gardening…)! To be done every day for at least 30 minutes.
– Homeo solution: take Alumina or Lycopodium as a background treatment for 3 weeks, in 9 CH, 3 granules once a day.
– Good plants: lingonberry bud macerate helps regulate transit (50 drops morning and evening). Also target the EO of ginger, tarragon or fennel, 2 drops 2 to 3 times a day on 1 ½ tsp. to c. honey.
I often have intestinal problems
Diarrhea can be more or less recurrent and painful, independent of infections, and sometimes signals irritable bowel syndrome, bothersome but not serious.
– Force on starchy foods, even if it means limiting fruits and vegetables, especially raw. Remember to reintroduce them cooked as soon as possible to strengthen the microbiota by their high fiber content.
– The homeo solution: take Arsenicum album, Magnesia phosphorica, China or Nux vomica, always in 5 CH, 3 granules 2-3 times a day in case of crisis.
– The good plants: Lemon balm in herbal tea or in “water” relieves, as well as cinnamon to sprinkle on desserts or in a hot drink. On the aroma side, bet on the EO of fragrant verbena, mountain savory, or oregano of your choice (2 drops 2 to 3 times a day on 1 ½ tsp of honey). The walnut bud macerate (50 drops morning and evening in 1 glass of water) restores the microbiota after diarrhea.
What drugs to take if natural solutions do not provide enough relief?
Dr Marc Perez, osteopathic doctor
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) block stomach acid and are prescribed for esophagitis or gastritis. For severe constipation, Forlax and Parapsyllium are offered, and against too frequent diarrhea, Tiorfan and Lactéol Fort.
Is taking these drugs long term risky?
We are especially wary of PPIs with known side effects. They notably slow down digestion, with all the associated disorders, or promote the development of infection in the medium term. They also have long-term bone and neurological repercussions. Better not to exceed 10 days of treatment, especially in the absence of rapid benefits.
What if nothing works?
The examinations are necessary to explore the digestive tract, by fibroscopy or colonoscopy under anesthesia, in order to detect possible lesions, or simply in the laboratory to carry out a helicobacter test from the analysis of the breath. If necessary, antibiotic treatment is offered to eliminate this bacteria which degrades the lining of the stomach, maintains hyperacidity and can promote more serious diseases.
The special belly yoga posture
Adopt the jathara parivartanasana, or twisting of the belly, in the morning and in case of heaviness. Lying on your back, bring your bent legs to your stomach, gently rocking from side to side, turning your head to the opposite side and keeping your shoulders on the ground. This speeds up the transit.
Minerals to aid digestion
– Take a 14-day clay cure (1 teaspoon diluted in water morning and evening) or take a little Belloc charcoal occasionally, in capsules or powder, against bloating. But in small doses because they constipate.
– In trace elements: magnesium chloride is effective against constipation, and zinc against diarrhea (as a 10-day cure).
Restore balance with probiotics
Target the right strains, dosed at more than 10 billion bacteria, to rebalance the microbiota: L.acidophilus against bloating (Lactibiane Reference from PiLeJe for example) and constipation, L. rhamnosus against diarrhea (Lactobacillus Rhamnosus from Vit’All +); 1 dose per day for 3-4 weeks in the attack phase, then to be spaced out.
(1) author of I take care of my colon (Leduc.S 2017)
(2) author of Ostéo-gym: Les postures qui relieve (Leduc.S 2018), and of the Guide to star food supplements (Eyrolles 2019)
SIBO: what is this little-known intestinal disease responsible for hyper bloating?
Diarrhea: 5 tips to overcome it
Bloating, gas: 15 foods to avoid to deflate