Essential oils for hair: selection and use at home
Essential oils for hair are an effective and affordable home care product for curls. It has a beneficial effect on the structure of the strands and improves their appearance. Currently, there is a wide variety of oils that solve a number of problems and are suitable for every hair type.
What are the benefits of essential oils
Oils have a number of properties that are beneficial. That is why their use has long been practiced in cosmetology.
- to perfect the appearance of the hair;
- cure dermatitis and seborrhea;
- stimulate active growth;
- remove excess fat at the roots;
- enrich with a complex of nutrients;
- cure the scalp and curls;
- get rid of dandruff;
- eliminate loss;
- give curls smoothness and shine.
Due to the presence of useful properties, such a tool can replace any industrial cosmetic product, which includes such components. If you correctly select and use essential oils for hair, then you can save a decent amount on visits to the trichologist.
The properties of essential oils and their uses
Consider the characteristics of essential oils and their use in hair care:
- Orange: regenerating, toning, anti-inflammatory. Perfectly fights dandruff by nourishing dry and brittle hair.
- Basil: anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory. To strengthen hair, as well as to reduce brittle curls.
- Clove: antibacterial, antifungal. Eliminates itching and inflammation, revitalizes hair follicles and stimulates their growth.
- Grapefruit: stimulating, toning. Restores the natural secretion of the sebaceous glands and revitalizes the hair follicle.
- Jasmine: anti-aging, stimulating, regenerating. Used to moisturize hair. Eliminates dryness and irritation.
- Cedar: anti-allergic, anti-aging, anti-inflammatory. It prevents hair loss, therefore, it is actively used to treat hair loss. The oil regulates the work of the sebaceous glands and stimulates the growth of new curls.
- Cypress: wound healing, bactericidal. Eliminates skin sensitization and strengthens hair.
- Lavender: regenerating, tonic, immunomodulatory, antiseptic, bactericidal. Relieves skin inflammation and irritation. Eliminates fragility and hair loss. It is often used for the prevention of head lice.
- Incense: wound healing, anti-allergic, anti-aging. Unclogs pores, improves curls elasticity and balances sebum production.
- Lime: tonic, antibacterial. Eliminates hair brittleness and completely restores them.
- Lemon: anti-inflammatory, bactericidal. Naturally brightens curls, nourishes the scalp and heals wounds.
- Tangerine: antifungal, tonic. Relieves inflammation and irritation, strengthens the hair follicle.
- Juniper: antiseptic, wound healing. Removes toxins, promotes regeneration and improves hair structure.
- Carrot seeds: anti-inflammatory, fortified, nutritious. Great for dry and split curls.
- Oregano: anti-aging, antifungal, antiparasitic. Promotes the restoration of the sebaceous glands.
- the Rose: regenerating, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory. Removes toxins, tones the scalp, improves microcirculation and strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- Chamomile: nutritious, fortified, tonic. Nourishes hair follicles and removes dryness of the hair itself.
- Thyme: immunomodulatory, bactericidal. Restores hair damaged by chemical dyeing, increases blood circulation and stops hair loss.
- Eucalyptus: antifungal, wound healing, antioxidant. Cleanses pores by oxygenating them.
Table of using essential oils for various problems
|View||Strengthening curls (during loss)||Itchy scalp||Dry seborrhea||Oily seborrhea||Restoration of elasticity and structure|
In order not to harm your hair, you need to read the following recommendations:
- It is not recommended to use esters with an unpleasant aroma for oneself.
- It is worth choosing the correct dosage. To determine it, you need to consult with a specialist. It will determine the exact amount based on skin color, smell, disease or pregnancy.
- Keep ethers away from children and open flames.
- The oil cannot be used for more than 3 weeks.
- It is allowed to use a maximum of 7 drops per day.
- Combing hair with essential oils should only be done on dry strands.
Recipes with essential oils for hair care
Essential oils for hair care can be used alone or in conjunction with shampoo or balm while washing and rinsing the head. The result is always the expected double effect.
To add to shampoo
It is quite easy to prepare a shampoo-based composition with oil drops. This requires:
- Add 3 drops of ether to a regular portion of shampoo.
- Mix the consistency thoroughly in the palm of your hand.
- Apply the product to the head, massage for 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat the procedure 2 times a week.
To strengthen weakened curls, add pine, cedar or fir essential oils to the shampoo. They stimulate hair growth and the appearance of new hair follicles. And to soften rough curls and give them elasticity, you can add coconut oil.
Esters of rosemary, geranium, chamomile and tea tree are excellent options for fighting dandruff. The choice of ester depends on the type of skin disease. Dandruff can be dry or oily. To find the right oil, you need to test each of the options separately.
To add to the balm
In this case, oils act as an additional component that will nourish and restore hair. A couple of drops of esters should be added to the balm if there are split ends. The most suitable remedy for restoring curls will be citrus oils, for example:
- mandarin, as well as rosewood, ylang-ylang.
At the end of the treatment, you can pamper your curls with rinsing with ethers. This procedure will consolidate the result, and the hair will acquire a pleasant aroma. This will require:
- Take half a teaspoon of sea salt, drip oil into it, and then dissolve the consistency in 0.5 liters of water.
- Rinse hair with solution after washing.
Base for essential oils
Hair masks with essential oils are an indispensable tool for treating and restoring damaged curls. These oils are often concentrated plant essences, so finding a good base for them is so important.
A list of the best base oils you can use to mix and dilute with essential oils:
- Burdock… Strengthens, eliminates itching and enhances capillary circulation.
- Castor… Eliminates dryness and nourishes the scalp with nutrients. Works well with essential oils to strengthen and grow hair.
- Black cumin… It speeds up the regeneration process and enhances the natural shine of the hair.
- Olive… The oil penetrates deeply into the hair structure, thanks to which the curls come in good condition from the inside. It also moisturizes the scalp, strengthens the bulbs and relieves itching. Read more about olive oil for hair →
- Arganovoye… Gives the strands elasticity, strength and a mirror-like shine. Works well with essential oils for hair growth. Read more about argan oil for hair →
- Coconut… It is the most popular in the world, as it has a rich composition that moisturizes and nourishes the curls. The oil prevents hair loss and soothes the scalp.
- Linseed… Makes curls smooth and moisturizes from root to tip. Read more about flaxseed oil for hair →
- Jojoba… Softens strands, provides them with moisture and protects them from the sun. It rinses off well and is economically consumed.
- Almond… It normalizes the work of the sebaceous glands, therefore it is great for oily hair. Also, oil is a good prevention of dandruff. Read more about almond oil for hair →
- Amla… Strengthens the bulbs and prevents the appearance of early gray hair.
Hair mask recipes
Hair follicles, and the hair itself, need nutrition. Below are examples of masks for the most common problems: dry hair and hair loss.
To restore dry strands, you should use an oil mixture.
- jojoba oil – for the base;
- chamomile oil.
- Introduce a couple of drops of chamomile ether into the base.
- Cover all strands and ends with the mixture if damaged.
- Leave the mask on your hair for about an hour, covering your head with a towel.
- Wash off the consistency from the hair 2 times.
To prevent hair loss, you will need to use an all-purpose essential oil for thickening your hair, which will make it easy to deal with the problem.
- rosemary oil;
- warm water.
- Dissolve the oil in half a glass.
- Massage the mixture onto the head.
- Leave the mask for an hour.
- Rinse the mixture off the curls several times.
Essential oils are an effective remedy with a pleasant aroma. They can be used both in pure form and together with care products. Also an excellent option for hair restoration is an ester mask, which is easily done at home. As a result, the owner of the fair sex will receive beautiful and healthy hair that everyone will envy.
: Rida Khasanova,
Useful video about essential oils for hair