Everything is good in the grapefruit ! If its flesh strengthens the immune system and protects the body against carcinogenic cells, its seeds also have arguments to make.
Endowed with antibacterial, antibiotic and antifungal properties (against fungal infections), grapefruit seed extract – not to be confused with grapefruit essential oil – is also very rich in bioflavonoids, powerful antioxidants that help fight against free radicals responsible for the aging of cells. Used internally, it acts without side effects and without destroying the good bacteria present in the body. Externally, it treats and disinfects in a 100% natural.
How to use grapefruit seed extract?
For health :
- Mouth: gingivitis, bleeding, canker sores, bad breath. To be used in mouthwash, 20 drops diluted in a glass of cold water.
- Immune system: strengthening of natural defenses. For adults, 15 drops in a glass of water or fruit juice, to drink 2 to 3 times a day. For children, 3 drops per 10 kilos of weight, to drink once a day.
- Gastrointestinal sphere: bloating, diarrhea, inflammation of the intestine. Same prescription.
- Skin: pimples, acne, mycoses, bites. To be applied pure to the area in question.
- Hair : dandruff. 10 drops in the shampoo.
In the House :
- Washing of vegetables or fruits that will be eaten raw with their skin on. To be used pure or diluted in a little water.
- Cleaning of kitchen utensils, worktop and tiling. Same prescription.
- Sanitation of the toothbrush. 1 to 2 drops directly on the toothbrush.
- Cleaning the hairbrush. 10 drops in a basin of water in which the brush is left to soak.
- Cleaning of the toilet bowls. To be used pure or in addition to usual household products.
- Beware of the interactions of grapefruit with certain treatments (breast cancer, AIDS, cholesterol …), they are likely to reduce the effectiveness of drugs or on the contrary increase their side effects.
- 4% of the population could be affected by citrus allergy (vomiting, abdominal pain or itching).
- Prefer it liquid and organic, without additives.
- It is not recommended for children under 3 years old and pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Our shopping selection
– Organic grapefruit seed extract, CitroBiotic, € 21.90 for the 100 ml bottle.
– Original grapefruit seed extract, Dioter Laboratory, € 25 per 100 ml bottle.
Grapefruit Seed Extract: What Does Science Say?
- An (old!) Study from the University of Greifswald (in Germany) showed in 1999 that grapefruit seed extract had antibacterial action, especially against the bacteria Escherichia coli, Candida maltosa, and Staphylococcus aureus.
- A study from the University of Texas (in the United States) wanted to understand this antibacterial impact: researchers discovered that grapefruit seed extract destroyed the membrane of bacteria after about 15 minutes of exposure.
- A study published in 2005 in the World Journal of Gastroenterology has shown that the oral grapefruit seed extract could protect the digestive system of stressed people … and in particular prove to be a protector against gastritis and ulcers!
Grapefruit: our best recipes with this citrus fruit
Grapefruit seed extract: 6 ultra-effective and easy-to-prepare health remedies
Why you should never take medicines with grapefruit