What is hair transplant?
Currently, hair transplant is practically the only reliable method of baldness treatment. At all times, men perceived the process of baldness rather painfully, and until recently this problem remained unresolved.
Hair transplantation refers to the transplantation of follicles into exposed areas from those places (for example, the back of the head and lateral areas of the head) where such follicles are abundant. The transplanted follicles usually take root well and function well throughout life.
How is scalp hair transplant done?
Hair transplant for women
Hair transplantation in women is not as common as a similar procedure in the stronger sex. This is due to the female pattern of hair loss. Together with the androgenic type of alopecia, women also have a diffuse form of this disease, during which hair falls out over the entire surface of the head, even on the back of the head and temples.
In the case of the fairer sex, the frontal part most often remains intact, therefore, the purpose of recovery during the operation is usually the places on the crown and back of the head. Unfortunately, in many cases, the doctor only needs to redistribute the available amount of hair evenly over the entire head.
Hair transplant for women can help in this case:
- Baldness, which is associated with a head injury, as well as resulting from burns, plastic surgery and other severe injuries.
- For male pattern baldness.
- If a woman’s hair falls out mainly in the temporal parts.
Sometimes baldness in girls and women can be eliminated by following the correct diet and using medicated shampoos.
Hair transplant for men
Hair transplantation for males is a more common procedure these days. Recently, the need to be beautiful in men will increase, and the possibilities in the world of plastic correction are increasing – the effect of the procedure pleases more and more, and complications are minimized.
For the stronger sex, the seamless method has become the most popular. Despite the fact that recovery after this type of procedure is very fast, for the successful completion of the implantation, the patient must follow some rules:
Indications and contraindications
Indications for hair transplant
- Male and female baldness, which is associated with hormonal disruptions;
- Hair restoration after a head injury or burn;
- Baldness, which was caused by inflammation in the scalp, and also formed after plastic surgery;
- An inherited property of a person, which most often consists in the high border of the front hairline, which limits the hair growth zone. This number also includes deep areas of baldness in the forehead and temples.
- General surgical. Sufficient amount of hair in other areas for the transplant is essential;
- Compensated form of diabetes;
- Any tumors in humans (malignant or benign);
- Diseases of the blood system, especially poor clotting;
- Acute and chronic infections (especially with exacerbation);
- Pregnancy and lactation.
Hair transplant methods
Seamless FUE method
This is a very gentle and minimally invasive hair transplant method. Small areas of skin with a diameter of 1.8-5 mm, together with follicles, are taken from the donor area using a special machine with a punch, and only then are cut into grafts – future grafts that will be implanted. The procedure is carried out soon under the influence of local anesthesia. The punch leaves small scars that heal quickly.
The hair is implanted with a scalpel or a special bent needle. With the help of tweezers, ready-made grafts are inserted into these channels. Recovery after surgery will take up to a month.
The main disadvantage of this method is the impossibility of repeating a similar procedure, thereby limiting the density of the hair. In addition, donor zones suffer quite a lot (in terms of hair loss). The density of the established hair after a year will visually differ from the natural density of other zones.
Patchwork FUT Method
This is the classic method, which takes about four hours to remove the skin flap and graft it. This is a fairly quick method, but at the same time it is rather rough – large scars remain. On one person, this method can be used no more than three times, moreover, more than six months must pass between each procedure. The size of the donor part should not be higher than 10×3 cm. General or local anesthesia can be used.
Grafts are also inserted into the incisions using tweezers. Recovery takes 1.5 to 3 months.
The main disadvantage is the presence of a large scar in the donor area, severe pain, as well as a large loss of hair in the area of donor follicles, a small thickness of hair that has taken root.
Operational STRIP technique
If the hair in the donor part is also not very thick, then from there you can take a skin flap in the form of a strip (strip) measuring 20-25 × 3 cm and, after excising it into several thousand micrografts, make a careful transplant with the density necessary for a person. This type of operation is performed using local anesthesia. The doctor sutures the wound with a cosmetic suture. However, the scar will still remain visible for the rest of your life.
Grafts are also transplanted with a scalpel. The recovery period after applying this method will take up to three months, and the hair will get the greatest density a year after the operation.
The main disadvantage is long wound healing, large scar, and even greater loss of follicles. The effectiveness of this method can be compared to the seamless one.
Non-surgical HFE technique
This is the most advanced donor hair transplant technique (the newest method). During its application, doctors remove microfollicular hair associations from the donor area without making incisions on the skin surface – they carry out this using special needles 0.5–0.9 mm. Hair is also inserted with a needle that lowers the follicle to the desired depth, without punctures or cuts. This procedure is painless, almost imperceptible and is carried out quickly, under local anesthesia.
Recovery after applying this method will take no more than two weeks, and after a year the owner will be able to enjoy new luxurious hair, because the angle of inclination and the total density of the grafts are as close to natural indicators as possible. After this method, there are no marks or scars left in the donor area. It is for this reason that after such a technique, a person can easily change hairstyles or even shave his head baldly. A beard, mustache, eyelash or eyebrow transplanted in this way will also look natural. Donor follicles can be taken from any part of the body.
Which method should you choose?
- Patchwork and surgical techniques are definitely not suitable for people who are prone to severe scarring, or those who are going to wear short haircuts. For such people, it is best to opt for the seamless technique.
- For those who are going to walk with long hair all their lives, especially in the case of severe hair loss (V – VII), it is better to use just the operating method.
- If the effect of maximum naturalness is important for a person, moreover, he is not going to wear very short haircuts, then the long hair transplant technique will be the ideal solution for him.
- However, an indication for body hair transplantation can be a small number of donor grafts on the back of the head in case of profuse hair loss.
Where to go for hair extensions?
Hair transplantation is carried out in almost any major city in Russia, Ukraine and any other country in the world. There are also those places that are known for their excellent reputation in this important business. For example, the famous Turkish resort city of Kemer, which became famous for its hair transplant clinic. All those people go there who want to quickly, painlessly, without seams and scars, return to themselves a luxurious, thick head of hair.
Does hair always take root after transplant?
Most often, all grafts take root after transplantation, but all follicles may not germinate. There are many reasons for this. It initially depends on the grafts. If they are too weak, then the entire transplant will end rather unsuccessfully for them, therefore it is better to exclude weak grafts immediately.
Also, the following factors affect the survival rate:
- Temperature indicators and properties of the solution in which the grafts are placed, which will take root.
- Duration of storage of grafts.
- Possible injury during the procedure.
- The method used for their implantation.
Features of transplanted hair care
The next day after the transplant, you need to wash the donor part of the head with baby soap, and three days later, wash your entire head in the same way. Shampooing every day is an important part of hygienic skin care and the healing process of all wounds on the head, as well as the speedy hair growth.
When the recovery period comes to an end, the transplanted hair does not require special care. They can also be washed and cut, dyed and curled, styled. At the same time, the curls will look as natural as possible.
- Dmitry, 22 years old: “I had a flap implantation in Moscow. The process took several hours. There was no swelling and soreness. My hair has grown back well and looks thick and neat. I am pleased with myself and have regained confidence in my appearance. “
- Vasily, 35 years old: “I was operated on in Turkey. The transplant was performed using a seamless method, I did not feel any pain. The recovery period took only 12 days. Over the course of a month, the hair that had been transplanted fell out a little, but after a while everything returned to normal. Now I am very happy with my new and beautiful hair. “
- Vadim, 43 years old: “I found a clinic in Antalya and immediately signed up for a session. The method was seamless. After a couple of days, not a trace of the procedure was left on the head. Now my relatives do not remember that I was bald. In addition, the doctors of the clinic gave me good advice on how to properly care for my hair. For many years I have not known any hair problem. “