Forget them a priori! Curling irons aren’t just for thin or straight hair. Thick or curly ones also use it to redefine a natural curl, or just over a few strands to energize a hairstyle. The only requirements are to display a certain length, in order to be able to wrap the hair around the tip, and not to have a pronounced gradient.
What are the criteria for choosing the right curling iron?
1 / The diameter.
The range offered is generally 16 à 32 mm. The narrower the cylindrical tip, the tighter and more defined the loop will be. On the contrary, if it is wide, the result will be closer to a flexible and more fuzzy wavy.
2 / The temperature.
It is not the excess heat that makes the efficiency. Some brands offer several temperature choices, from 150 ° to 230 ° C. No need to heat too much to obtain a result. A single temperature of 185 ° C is sufficient. You will not go faster with a boiling iron, but your hair will be duller and dehydrated, as for your curls, their appearance will be frozen.
It is better to choose a looper with:
– A seeing that tells you it’s powered on.
– A audible signal to inform you that it has reached the correct temperature
– A standby so that your device turns off by itself after a certain time without use.
3 / The gutter.
This is the small iron valve that some curlers offer for hold the bit in place during the shaping, but also to obtain curls better drawn, plump, and sophisticated. Note: the hair will go up, so you will lose 1 to 3 centimeters in length.
The option without gutter, has a thinner, tapered tip that creates a more bohemian and natural, with less volume, but the length of which remains unchanged.
How to use your curling iron properly
– First of all, dry your hair well if you want to get curls… and their hold lasts more than two minutes.
– Position your looper at least two centimeters from the scalp, to avoid the risk of burns. But you can also place it at 5 or 10 cm, depending on the desired result.
– Wrap around the cylinder a bit of the same width as your looper. If you are impatient and select a strand that is too thick, the curl will not form, as only hair in contact with heat will be impacted. Result: you will just have to start over.
– The looper does not move, it is the hair that wraps around it. Up to the tip if you have a gutter to hold it in place. If you don’t have this option, use the tip to hold the hair in position without burning yourself.
– Roll up the flat hair if you want a more natural and wavy result. For a more dense and plump curl, twist the wick before positioning it.
– Same, choose to maintain your horizontal device for a marked or notched result, and vertically for a round curl, but without volume at the root.
– Leave her heat act 6 to 8 seconds. Then release the loop gently, and let it rest for a few seconds in the palm of your hand, time for it to cool down. It is this change in temperature that will fix the shape. Do not skip this step just because you are in a hurry.
the same thing; if you missed a loop, do not take it again immediately, let it cool before returning to it.
– Know that this type of curls is ephemeral. They will last a maximum of two days, and again, the next day they will already be more loose and fuzzy. It is therefore unnecessary to lacquer to fix, in addition you risk removing all its naturalness from your hairstyle.
The tip of the curling iron pro:
– Before you start, practice with a curling iron that is not plugged in.
– Once you have captured the right gesture, turn on the device, but the first few times do not forget to use the thermoprotective glove which is supplied with the looper. This will prevent you from getting burned.
Once the helping hand is taken, you will see, the gesture becomes intuitive.
Thanks to Emilie Rondeau, GHD expert.
Pick of the editor’s favorite curling irons
The most professional curling iron: GHD Curve Soft Curl Tong
ghd Curve Soft Curl Tong
Give your hair voluptuous curls thanks to the Tri-Zone technology of the GHD Curve Soft Curl Tong. Its 6 temperature detectors make it possible to maintain an equal heat of 185 ° C over the entire looper, during shaping. An ideal technology for rapid and harmonious styling, without risk of weakening the hair fiber. We tested the Curl GHD Curve Soft curling iron, quickly discover our impressions.
GHD Curve Soft Curl Tong, 179 € (with heat-resistant glove) at Amazon.fr
The fastest curling iron: Babyliss Ionic Secret Curl
Curl Secret Ionique, Babyliss
Equipped with an automatic shaping system, the Curl Secret Ionique is the ideal device for beginners, but also for women who want curls, wavy or glamorous, in record time.
Curl Secret Ionic Curling Iron, C1200E, Babyliss, 72,24 € at Amazon.fr
The easiest curling iron to use: Remington Curl Revolution
Curl Revolution de Remington
With the Remington Curl Revolution, there’s no need for a heat-protective glove to wrap your wicks around the tapered tip, or to keep it horizontal, without burning yourself. This looper is said to be “intelligent”. Rotary, it is he who rolls up the hair, you just have to press the button.
Curl Revolution Curling Iron – CI606, Remington, € 60.27 at Amazon.fr
The tailor-made curling iron: 5 in 1 by Ckeyin
Ckeyin 5 and 1
With the CkeyinR 5-in-1 Curling Iron, you have unlimited curls. Tight, voluptuous, wavy… you can change your head according to your wishes by interchanging its 5 looper tips of different diameters.
5 in 1 Curling Iron, Ckeyin, € 29.69 at Amazon.fr
The cheapest curling iron: CF 2112C0 from Calor for Elite
Do you dream of being able to occasionally flaunt tight and beautifully plump curls, but without investing a considerable amount of money? Then the Calor CF 2112C0 Curling Iron is for you. A device that Elite agency models use for their catwalk hairstyles.
Curling Iron CF2112C0, Calor for Elite, € 8.99 at Amazon.fr
The top 5 curling irons
Haircut, sublimate your curls
Curly hair, the pro tips to adopt!
Curly, curly or wavy hair: our tips for taking care of it
VIDEO – The incredibly awesome trick to curling your hair in 30 seconds
To see also:
Follow our video steps to achieve your natural curls.
Comparison of the best curling irons
Also find out how to properly use and maintain your curling iron.
Curling iron or heated curlers: which one to choose?
Video tutorial: how to make big and beautiful curls?