I love sauerkraut. I eat this appetizer with porridge, potatoes, pasta and just a fork all year round. Once I learned that the foods that we really want at a certain period of time are rich in vitamins and substances that the body lacks. Indeed, it is irresistibly drawn to sauerkraut in the cold snap season, when vitamin C is especially important for immunity. This is one of the reasons to stock up on a bucket of homemade sauerkraut for the winter. Today I will tell you how to ferment cabbage at home, and, of course, I will not forget to mention the valuable properties of this product.
How to ferment cabbage at home
Oh, as soon as they do not ferment it. The easiest way is to chop 5 kg of cabbage, grind it with 50 g of salt and pour 100 ml of water. Next, cover the bucket with a lid, place the load and leave the cabbage to sour for 3 days at room temperature. Then the workpiece must be transferred to a cool place.
To give the cabbage an unforgettable taste, housewives add cranberries, apples, caraway seeds, and sour cucumbers to the preparation. But most often grated carrots are simply added. I will tell you about a win-win recipe for crispy cabbage for the winter at the end of the article. And now let’s talk about how sauerkraut is useful and to whom it is contraindicated.
Properties of sauerkraut
Sauerkraut is much healthier than fresh cabbage. When fermentation occurs, the cabbage releases lactic acid. This substance “preserves” vitamins and minerals in cabbage. In 1 st. l. sauerkraut contains vitamin C – armor for immunity, daily intake of vitamin K and B vitamins, which have a beneficial effect on the human nervous system.
Good news for everyone who preserves the shape – nutritionists recommend sauerkraut to eat when losing weight. At the same time, you do not need to limit your usual diet in any way. 100 g of sauerkraut contains 20 kilocalories, which means that the product has a negative calorie content. That is, the body spends more energy on digesting cabbage than it receives. So in order to lose a couple of extra pounds, you just need to eat 50 g of sauerkraut before each meal. The result will not be long in coming.
Lactic acid also helps prevent aging and stimulates metabolism. This makes the skin firmer and fresher. In addition, sauerkraut contains magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc. Sauerkraut contains probiotics, which means that it improves the digestive tract.
How to make crispy sauerkraut
- 10 kg of cabbage
- 1 kg of carrots
- 200 g of salt
- Peel and grate the carrots on a coarse grater.
- Finely chop the cabbage, a suspension of 200 g of salt.
- Mix the cabbage with carrots and salt in parts. Do not rub the vegetables with your hands, stir everything gently, otherwise the cabbage will not be crispy.
- Cover the bottom of the bucket with cabbage leaves and tamp the cabbage and carrots into a container. You can add a few black peppercorns and two bay leaves. It is recommended to use enamelled dishes for fermentation.
- Cover the bucket with a lid or plate, place the weight on top. It could be a large water bottle.
- Leave the cabbage to ferment at room temperature for 3 days. Every day you need to pierce the cabbage in several places with a wooden stick so that the cabbage does not taste bitter.
- After 3 days, you can transfer the cabbage into three-liter jars and store them in a cool place.
Despite the above benefits of this snack, sauerkraut is not recommended if you have stomach problems. It is better to give up sauerkraut for hypertensive patients, people with renal insufficiency, pregnant women and young children. If there are no contraindications, do not deny yourself anything. Do you like sauerkraut?
Source : takprosto.cc