Modern cosmetology offers different ways to deal with excess hair: hardware, wax, laser, sugar depilation. The latter method is ancient and gaining popularity among women. Sugaring can be easily done at home. It is enough to have the necessary tools and devices, and follow the simple step-by-step instructions.
Sugar depilation or shugaring (from sugar – sugar) is a way to get rid of hair on the skin using a special thick sugar-based paste. The viscous caramel mixture is applied to the treated area of the skin and removed along with the hairs. The procedure is also called caramel or Persian hair removal, sugar hair removal.
The procedure is ancient, it was used by women in Ancient Egypt and Persia. In those days, it was the only and expensive way to remove body hair. Only rich Egyptians could afford it, because sugar was expensive. Today, shugaring is available at home for absolutely everyone.
Benefits of shugaring
Sugar epilation has a number of advantages over other depilation methods:
- Budgetary – the procedure is available to people with a limited budget. At home, the cost of the procedure is quite democratic.
- Hypoallergenic – the composition of the paste used is 100% natural, so depilation does not cause an allergic reaction or irritation on the skin.
- Safety – the temperature of the sugar paste is the same as the body temperature, so the risk of burns or injury to the skin is minimized. Minimum chance of infection.
- Among the existing depilations, this is the least painful method. During shugaring, hairs are pulled out according to their growth, so there is no strong pain, as with wax depilation, the skin is not injured. Of course, everything is individual for everyone, a lot depends on the pain threshold, the master who does the depilation and when the procedure is performed.
- There is no problem of “ingrown hairs” as the hair is removed in the direction of its growth.
- Effectiveness and long-term result (up to 3 weeks). Sugar paste removes all hairs without breaking them. The skin in the treated areas remains perfectly smooth for 21 days, and with regular procedures, the hairs become thinner, and the growth rate slows down significantly.
- Additional skin care, because during depilation, dead skin cells are peeled.
- Versatility. Suitable not only for women, but also for men, and you can apply caramel paste to absolutely any area of the skin.
- Unlike other types of depilation, shugaring can be done independently at home.
It is these advantages that explain the rapid popularity of this cosmetic procedure.
Preparation for the procedure
Sugaring gives an excellent result in the form of smooth, soft and silky skin. The result of the procedure depends on the professionalism of the master and preliminary preparation, which consists of the following stages:
- The hairs must be of the right length, the effectiveness of the procedure and painlessness depend on this.
The longer the hair, the more painful it will feel during depilation. So how is the length appropriate?
- Ideal 4-5 mm.
- Hair lengths from 3 to 8 mm are acceptable.
- After depilation with a razor, a length of 5-7 mm is recommended.
- The maximum length is 8 mm. If the hairs of the branch are longer, then you will have to endure unpleasant sensations during shugaring or cut off excess.
- Preparing the skin will help prevent inflammation after shugaring.
A couple of days before the procedure, it is better to scrub the skin and use a hard washcloth to remove the stratum corneum. When scrubbing sensitive areas (bikini, armpits), you should be careful not to damage the delicate skin and not cause microcracks. Shugaring cannot be performed on inflamed skin areas, because the procedure itself is an easy type of peeling.
- For a couple of days, you should exclude sunbathing, visiting a solarium.
- Before the procedure, it is better to take a warm shower without the use of hygiene products.
- A day or two before sugar depilation, do not use fatty creams and oils in body care.
- Immediately before the procedure, you need to treat the skin with a professional lotion or antiseptic.
- Degreasing areas of the skin with talcum powder to provide a stronger adhesion to each hair.
- Psychological preparation is also important, especially for those who are faced with this type of depilation for the first time. There is no need to focus thoughts on pain sensations, everyone has their own pain threshold.
Subject to all these rules, the procedure for caramel depilation will be as comfortable, effective and painless as possible.
What do you need
What else needs to be prepared for the shugaring procedure?
It is sugar paste that is the basis of this type of depilation. It can be purchased ready-made in any cosmetic store, or you can cook it yourself. Properly prepared homemade caramel is as effective as store-bought caramel. It consists of 3 main components – sugar, citric acid and water.
For these purposes, any alcohol-containing product is suitable, for example, cologne or rubbing alcohol. If you wish, you can buy a special lotion before shugaring. Ansipetic is used to treat the skin before applying the caramel composition and after depilation.
After disinfection, talcum powder is applied to the skin. Sugar paste is water-soluble and any moisture particles with which it comes in contact will reduce its properties. Some masters use baby powder, but it is not very safe and effective, because it has large granules that clog the sebaceous glands.
Pain relieving sprays and ointments
You can anesthetize the procedure by using special sprays and ointments, which include Lidocaine (for example, Emla). The penetration of this substance through the skin is rather slow, therefore, 20-30 minutes before the procedure, a gel with Lidokoin is applied or the skin area is sprayed with a spray, then wrapped with cling film for faster penetration.
For those who work with bandage technology, you need to purchase a spatula for applying the composition. They are made of wood, plastic or metal.
Paper or cloth banding strips.
It is more hygienic to carry out the procedure with gloves. After shugaring without gloves, the remnants of the paste remain under the nails and the hands look unkempt. It is better to choose vinyl or nitrile products of the right size so that they fit snugly around your hand.
The finished sugar paste must be properly warmed up before depilation. For this, one of the methods is suitable: wax heater, water bath, microwave.
After the procedure, the skin must be soothed, moisturized with the help of special creams and lotions after depilation. This can be moisturizing lotions, anti-ingrown hair products, milk, sprays, oils, creams and other caring cosmetics.
Sets for shugaring
Starter kits can be assembled by yourself or purchased at a beauty store. The basic set for sugar epilation includes skin preparation products, universal paste for depilation of all areas, strips, spatula and final care products.
Choice of technique
There are two ways to work with sugar paste, each with its own merits and zone of effectiveness. Depilation is carried out with the technique that is more suitable for the situation.
With this technique, soft products are better suited for the application of which a bandage is used – fabric strips. On a large area of the body, this technique is indispensable, it allows you to completely remove hair from a large area of skin (for example, from the legs) in a matter of seconds.
Shaved, short hairs are best removed with this technique. It is the application and removal of the caramel composition only with the help of hands.
Which paste to choose
If this is a new procedure for you, keep in mind that for each part of the body you need a paste of different composition. The result and painlessness of removing unwanted hairs depends on the correctly selected product by 90%.
There is a wide selection of sugaring pastes on store shelves. It is much easier for a novice master to work with them, but it is important to pay attention to their consistency and composition.
Sold in a transparent container, similar to honey. Try pressing lightly on the sides of the container to make sure the paste changes shape. Keeping it open is undesirable.
For beginners, it is universal and when choosing it is easy to recognize it: by pressing the container with effort, it will bend by 1 cm. To remove it, heating is required (40-55 ° C).
It has a rich caramel shade, it is not very convenient for beginners, as it cools quickly. Moreover, the effect of its use will last longer when compared with the use of softer formulations. Warm-up requires a minimum temperature of 35 ° C.
Most often it is presented in cartridges and is used for quick hair removal on sensitive skin areas. It is consumed quite economically.
We offer an overview of the most popular pastes for home use.
A budget tool for bandage shugaring, it is convenient to work with it at home even for a beginner.
A line of professional products of different densities, good price / quality ratio, completely natural formulations. Use at home will not create additional difficulties.
A series of professional cosmetics for sugaring, home care and SPA. Does not require warming up and does an excellent job with its tasks. Economical, affordable and suitable for any technique.
There are a lot of positive reviews about this tool, even a beginner will be able to carry out the procedure at home. It is economical and has a natural composition.
How to make a paste
It is not at all difficult to cook a paste for shugaring at home, the main thing is to know the recipe. Compared to buying a ready-made mixture, you will be able to save significantly. In addition, you can be sure of the naturalness of the composition. There are several recipes for making the mixture.
- 10 tbsp. l. granulated sugar;
- 4 tbsp. l. water;
- half a lemon.
- Squeeze 2 tbsp from the lemon. l. juice.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, simmer until sugar is completely dissolved. The mixture should take on a caramel color.
- Remove from heat to cool the mixture to room temperature.
With citric acid
- 6 tbsp. l. Sahara;
- 4 tbsp. l. water;
- 2 tsp citric acid.
Prepare as follows:
- All components are combined in a saucepan and mixed.
- On low heat, the mass needs to be warmed up for 3 minutes, then removed from heat and left to brew for 10-15 minutes.
- The sugar granules should melt. Then turn on the heat again and, stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a thick caramel consistency.
- 2 tbsp. l. water;
- 2 tbsp. l. vinegar;
- 4 tbsp. l. Sahara.
- Combine everything in a saucepan and heat the mixture over low heat to the desired consistency, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the stove and leave to cool to room temperature.
- 2 tbsp. l. honey;
- 2 tbsp. l. lemon juice;
- 4 tbsp. l. Sahara.
- Lemon juice and honey are mixed and then sugar is added and mixed.
- The resulting mass must be sent to the microwave for 7-10 minutes, depending on the power.
- Stir until smooth and once again send to the oven for 10 minutes.
- You should get a stringy caramel.
Shelf life of caramel
Cooked caramel can be stored in the refrigerator for a long time, provided the only condition is to prevent air from entering the jar. For storage, it is better to use an airtight container with a tight lid. The shelf life of ready-made store products is 2 years, but with proper storage after this period, the paste will retain all its working qualities.
- The container with the paste and the lid must be intact.
- The cover should fit snugly to ensure a tight seal.
- Store at temperatures up to 30 ° C.
- Sugar paste is not afraid of direct sunlight, but it is better to keep it away from heating appliances and sunlight.
How to do shugaring
It is not difficult to make shugaring at home for the first time, it is important to know the general rules and follow everything in stages:
- Preparing the skin for hair removal: clean the area to be depilated and wipe dry with a paper towel.
- Apply talcum powder.
- Separate a small piece of the size of a walnut from the total mass of the paste and knead it thoroughly in your hands, like plasticine. To prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands, masters strongly recommend wearing gloves.
- How to apply the paste correctly? With little effort, the caramel composition is applied against hair growth.
- You need to pluck in the direction of hair growth with quick, twitching movements.
- The remains are washed off with warm water.
- A sedative is applied.
Getting rid of excess vegetation in such a delicate area requires some skills, so a novice master should not start the procedure from this particular area. For the procedure to be as effective as possible, you need to take into account the following nuances:
- The paste is applied in a thin layer against hair growth and kept for about 1.5-2 minutes for it to set well.
- You need to remove the caramel mixture with clear, sharp movements.
- For deep bikini it is better to use a very thick paste.
If the task is to remove the fluff above the lip (“female antennae”), it is better to use the softest paste, which resembles liquid honey. During the application of the composition, the upper lip needs to be pulled down a little so that the product lies evenly and penetrates deeper. The skin on the face is very delicate, so you need to keep it for no longer than 30 seconds.
Arms and legs
To remove hair from the surface of the hands, it is better to use a manual technique, and for the legs, a bandage technique. These areas of the body are not so sensitive, therefore, the discomfort will be minimal. It is better to use a paste of medium density, dense.
In this area, the hair follicles are stronger, so the paste should be chosen of medium density and applied in a thicker layer. Do not forget that this is a very sensitive area with delicate skin, which easily becomes irritated. It is better for beginners to use the bandage technique; only experienced craftsmen can perform armpit shugaring with manual technique using a dense paste.
Removing unwanted hairs on the chest, in the area between the buttocks and other intimate areas requires certain skills. A manual technique and soft sugar pastes that will gently remove hair and do not injure the skin are better suited.
After the procedure
To experience all the delights of this type of depilation, you need to know how to take care of your skin immediately after the procedure.
- Upon completion of the hair removal manipulations, the skin should be treated with a bactericidal composition (chlorhexidine) or a disinfecting lotion.
- In cases where irritation or itching is noticeable on the skin, use antiseptic ointments (for example, Rescuer).
- With peeling and dryness, a moisturizer, which contains panthenol, will help bring the skin back to normal.
Essential oils and other folk remedies are also suitable for care:
- An infusion of chamomile, calendula, oak and sage will help relieve irritation.
- Chamomile infusion will perfectly moisturize the skin.
- The traumatic skin will soothe tea tree oil, eucalyptus.
- Kalanchoe and aloe juice can relieve irritation.
- Coconut oil nourishes and moisturizes perfectly.
For those who did shugaring for the first time, you need to know what can and cannot be done after the procedure:
- For a day, you need to refuse to take warm baths, saunas, fitness.
- Do not sunbathe or visit a solarium for two days, otherwise there is a risk of pigmentation.
- The treated area does not need to be soaked for 3 hours.
- When depilation of armpits for a day, you need to give up deodorants.
- When shugaring a bikini, it is better to wear underwear made of natural fabric, and sleep without underwear.
If these recommendations are followed, the effect will be as long as possible.
Tips for Beginners
For the procedure to be successful, you should heed the advice of experienced craftsmen:
- Before the procedure, you need to test for the tendency to allergies and skin hypersensitivity. To do this, apply the caramel to a small area of the skin and observe the skin reaction.
- For sensitive skin, use an ice cube after tearing off the paste.
- It is better to remove the remains of the caramel composition from the skin with a towel made of natural fabrics slightly moistened with water.
- You can use cornstarch instead of talcum powder.
- The temperature of the caramel should be 2 ° C higher than the body temperature, you can check it on the back of your wrist.
- The remaining mixture of sugar and water does not need to be thrown away, it is perfectly stored.
- The prepared paste should be light amber in color and not too thick.
- When cooking yourself, it is important to check the consistency: it should not stick to your hands and easily roll into a ball.
It is not recommended to carry out manipulation to remove unwanted hairs in some cases:
- with diabetes mellitus;
- with skin diseases;
- during menstruation;
- patients with epilepsy;
- with allergies to honey and sugar;
- during pregnancy;
- with varicose veins;
- alcoholic intoxication.
The presence of one of these contraindications leads to the fact that it is better to refuse such a procedure.
With all the seeming simplicity of this procedure, there are many nuances that every master should know. Beginners stack with errors like this:
- Sticking. Many people ask, “Why can’t you remove hair with sugar paste?” A common reason is using too soft a paste.
- Ingrown hair. Due to their inexperience, errors may occur with the application and removal of the sugar composition.
- Painful sensations are often associated with mistakes in the selection of the paste.
- Wrong angle of skin tension. Hands should always go at a 180 degree angle.
- Wrong direction of jerk. The hand that removes the paste should go clearly in the direction of hair growth.
These are the most common mistakes newbies face.
If the paste is frozen
It is important not to digest the shugaring mixture, for this it is necessary to check it during the preparation process. To make sure the caramel is ready, you should drop a little melted sugar on a plate, wait until it hardens, then try to roll a ball out of it. If everything worked out, the mixture is ready.
For beginners in this business, it often turns out that the caramel is overcooked and frozen. Can the situation be corrected? Heat the resulting caramel in a water bath, add a little water and cool again. Store products can be heated in the microwave, the process can be repeated many times. It is very convenient to use a wax melter for these purposes.
The safest, most painless and affordable method of dealing with unwanted hair is shugaring. After this procedure, not only all hairs are removed, but also their growth is significantly slowed down. If you have not yet found your depilation method, you should definitely try sugar depilation and feel all the delights of this method for yourself.