According to statistics in the world, more than 50% of women experience severe pain in their legs at the end of the working day. The reasons can be as diseases, the symptoms of which are more pronounced after a busy day on your feet, and uncomfortable fashionable shoes or high heels. Men do not wear heels, but they suffer from pain in their legs after a day on their feet as much as women.
Pain syndrome can vary widely: from fatigue, bearable severity or slight numbness to strong pulling, shooting sensations up to convulsions that prevent sleep. The first law of emergency medical care for any injury is pain relief. Only after that do they begin to establish a diagnosis and therapy. In this case, it is appropriate to use this rule, the pain cannot be tolerated! If its strength becomes unbearable, then you should immediately consult a doctor. But even if after work the legs simply “buzz”, “whine” or “tingle”, you should not ignore this.
What pathologies provoke pain in the legs?
- Varicose veins. It usually manifests itself as heaviness in the legs and pulling pains that intensify towards the end of the working day. The reason is that poor circulation in the evening causes venous congestion.
- Arthritis (inflammation of the joints, there are more than ten of them in the legs). Arthrosis pains can be twisting or sharp, but their main distinguishing feature is persistence: they do not appear in the evening, but disturb throughout the day.
- Thrombophlebitis. It usually develops against the background of varicose veins. Venous congestion provokes the development of blood clots. The legs become red and swollen. The pain can be acute, throbbing, or a burning sensation in the calves.
- Osteoporosis is a disease of a lack (or rather leaching) of calcium, which is characteristic of many women after 40 years. One of the signs of the disease are cramps and severe pain in the calf muscles.
- Diabetes mellitus is manifested by “restless legs syndrome” at night and the feeling of running goose bumps and tingling sensations. The symptoms are worse in the evening.
- Inflammation of the sciatic nerve is the result of the presence of a herniated disc. Pinched nerve endings give off a strong pulling pain from the back through the buttock to the back of the thigh.
- Flat feet. As a result of violation of the arch of the foot (congenital or acquired), its depreciation properties are lost. Such legs quickly get tired, become “leaden”.
Needless to say, any of the pathologies described above requires systemic treatment under the guidance of a specialist, and is also a contraindication to long-term standing.
Do not postpone a visit to the doctor if, in addition to pain in the legs, by the end of the day, you notice:
- severe swelling;
- increased temperature (general or only in the limbs);
- swollen veins that cannot be touched;
- the pain does not go away for several days in a row and only intensifies.
How to relieve severe pain immediately?
- Completely remove the load from your feet: take off your shoes, socks or tights, sit down or lie down.
- Take a pain reliever such as ibuprofen.
- Apply a cold compress: wrap pieces of ice in a terry towel and apply to a sore spot. You can use an ice heater or any frozen convenience foods from the freezer. Apply cold for 15-20 minutes several times with breaks.
- If your leg is cramped, then you should do a relaxing massage.
What else can your legs hurt?
- Uncomfortable shoes and high heels most often cause leg disease in the evening in people who do not suffer from serious pathologies.
- Microtraumas resulting from poorly planned training, i.e., when the load on the lower extremities followed without preparatory warm-up and warming up of muscles and tendons. But microtrauma can be obtained in other ways, for example, due to an unsuccessful jump or tripping over a step.
- Overtraining, such as running too long a running distance.
- Pregnancy. Most often, seizures occur due to a deficiency of potassium, calcium, magnesium or vitamin B6, which is easily compensated for.
Ways to deal with fatigue-related leg pain
- Contrasting baths. It is more advisable to use two containers with warm and cold water. First, the feet are placed in the cold and try to withstand 15-30 seconds, then in the warmth and so on several times. You need to start with a small contrast. But strive to ensure that the temperature difference is at least 15-20 degrees (more is better). After the procedure, the feet should be lubricated with a special foot cream with a cooling and anti-fatigue effect.
- Warm baths with the addition of infusions of needles, flowers, St. John’s wort, calendula, chamomile nettle. Salt bath perfectly relieves puffiness and fatigue: 3-4 tbsp. l. table salt for 3 liters of water.
- Warm-up is a set of exercises that includes walking on toes, on heels, the inner and outer sides of the foot, circular motion of the feet in a supine position with the legs raised up. Gymnastics is recommended not only in the evening, but also in the morning. This contributes to a significant reduction in fatigue throughout the day.
- Self-massage. To do this, the feet are lubricated with a special emollient cream, preferably with special massage oils and the thumbs and forefingers, massage manipulations of the toes are performed. Rub the space under them, then the arch of the foot from below, then its upper part, then the heel. Calves and shins are massaged with light hand movements up and down.
- Cosmetics. If the work is standing, then special cosmetics saturated with fir, eucalyptus, and mint oils will be an excellent help in the fight against leg fatigue.
- Regular spa treatments. A pedicure should be part of the mandatory hygienic foot care. This procedure is not only pleasant, but also extremely useful. It helps to get rid of calluses, corns, cornification – everything that can cause discomfort when walking and standing and provoke pain syndrome.
- Choose comfortable shoes in size and preferably without heels!
- If you have to stand or walk all day, then it is imperative to arrange small sedentary breaks, and spend the lunch break at all while sitting or, if possible, lying down, taking off your shoes and raising your legs to improve blood circulation. It’s even better if you can do a set of exercises to relax the lower extremities.
- If the work involves standing in one place, for example, a shift at the checkout counter, then you can purchase a special saddle chair.
- Compression stockings can be worn to relieve tension and swelling.
- Obligatory nightly foot care (contrasting or herbal baths followed by cream application).
- Do not neglect foot spa treatments!
- An indispensable assistant in the fight against unpleasant sensations can be a home electric massager, which perfectly works out all the main points of the feet. Regular use will bring lightness, relieve discomfort and provide an additional relaxing effect.
- At the first alarming (too strong or long-lasting) pain in the legs after a day on the legs, see a doctor. This will help prevent the development of severe pathologies in time.
Source : fiteria.ru