How to tighten loose skin on the neck
A sagging neck is the result of a natural process of aging and sagging of the skin, which causes wrinkles to form. Unfortunately, this delicate part of the skin is much more prone to aging than the face and hands.
Poor or irregular care of the neck area also leads to early laxity. By applying nourishing, moisturizing and toning products, many women end up on the chin area without paying proper attention to the neck and décolleté. To preserve the youthfulness and beauty of the neck, remove wrinkles or significantly reduce their number and depth, regular and comprehensive care will be required.
Reasons for flabbiness
Loose skin on the neck is a consequence of:
- Age-related changes. Over the years, estrogen synthesis decreases, which leads to a decrease in skin elasticity and firmness. A sagging neck and chin result from decreased production of collagen and elastin fibers that make up the skin’s skeleton. During menopause, their synthesis gradually decreases.
- Dehydration – dehydration – of the body. The lack of fluid in the tissues due to their lack of moisture causes dryness and sagging of the skin. Prolonged exposure to dry air negatively affects the condition of the dermis.
- Photoaging, to which the skin on the neck is exposed more quickly.
- Incorrect position of the head and body. The habit of sleeping on a high pillow, reading in bed, walking with your head down, holding your phone or laptop at chest or abdomen level, bent over, sitting at a table, provokes a sagging neck under the chin.
- An unbalanced diet, a deficiency of vitamins and minerals and, on the contrary, an excess of sugar and harmful additives.
- Sudden weight fluctuations that can cause ptosis – sagging skin on the abdomen, arms and neck.
- Addiction to tobacco and alcohol. Nicotine, tar and ethyl alcohol destroy antioxidants that prevent aging.
- Stress, fatigue, nervous breakdowns and irritation;
- Incorrect selection and use of cosmetics.
How to tighten loose skin around your neck and chin
If the neck has become flabby, it is necessary to reconsider the habits, pay attention to the diet and its balance, the amount of clean water, do gymnastics for the neck and the whole body, regularly and gently massage the neck area and chin.
To successfully combat loose skin on the neck and prevent wrinkles in advance, you should regularly moisturize the skin from the inside and out. The habit of drinking at least 30 ml per 1 kg of body weight per day – according to the WHO recommendation – will lead to a sufficient supply of moisture to the tissues. From external means, you can use face cream, serums, masks, tonics, vitamin cocktails, lotions.
It is important to monitor your posture day and night. The habit of looking into the smartphone for a long time with the head down, provokes the “computer neck syndrome”. This leads to serious changes – the appearance of deep longitudinal folds on the neck – the “rings of Venus” and double chin.
It is necessary to often change the position of the head, not to slouch and do gymnastics, massage the neck, take care of it. A tall pillow is also the enemy of a graceful neck. Changing to an orthopedic option will help get rid of folds under the chin and in the neck area.
Avoid bulky jewelry. They deform and stretch the delicate dermis of the neck.
It is important to include in the daily diet more foods containing vitamin C and fatty acids – citrus fruits, tomatoes, berries, as well as fatty sea fish containing Omega-3 and Omega-6, nuts, avocados, olive oil.
Cosmetologists propose to deal with an aesthetic defect, depending on the stage of development: from regular home care used for prevention and in the early stages of dermis sagging, to a radical method – plastic surgery, which helps to cope with the deepest and most old wrinkles.
What to do if the skin on your neck becomes loose:
- Use therapeutic cosmetics. Suitable external products for professional and home care.
- Perform a massage with the study of the neck, face and décolleté.
- Make peels.
- Undergo hardware procedures for thermolifting, photorejuvenation, laser nanoperforation, ELOS_rejuvenation.
- Apply injection techniques of mesotherapy, contour plastics, bio-reinforcement, plasma-lifting or botulinum therapy.
- To resort to plastic surgery – the loose skin on the neck after 50 is removed only with the help of a thread lift or surgical facelift.
Cosmetic care for loose skin on the neck
For daily care, masks and face creams can be applied to the neck area. But major cosmetic brands offer a more gentle option – specialized lines of products marked “for the neck”. They have a lifting and moisturizing effect, do not contain aggressive substances, and are equipped with protective complexes for the delicate dermis.
Beauty vitamins A, E and C, minerals, hyaluronic acid and collagen, ceramides, retinol, protein complexes help to tighten the sagging skin on the neck. In addition, the products may contain extracts of algae and plants, fatty and aromatic oils, UV protection and stem cells.
To slow down fading, regular masks, compresses, wraps with a non-fabric base are used. They can be designed for the face and neck or for the neck and décolleté. They are impregnated with nourishing and lifting compounds that delicately affect the skin of delicate areas.
At the initial stage, it helps to remove the laxity of the neck, refresh and tighten the skin:
- Butter mixed with yolk and honey. Grind butter, honey and yolk in equal proportions, apply to a cloth, cover with cling film and wrap loosely with a bandage on top. After 20 minutes, rinse off the remains with warm water and apply the usual nourishing cream on the neck and décolleté.
- Extra virgin olive oil. In 100-150 ml of olive oil, add the contents of 5-6 capsules of vitamins A and E, or the drug “Aevit”. Bring the composition to the state of an emulsion, treat the neck and décolleté with it, cover the area with parchment, wrap it with a towel. You can then rest for 35-45 minutes and then wipe the treated area with damp cotton pads. You do not need to rinse with water.
From home remedies for the neck, masks, compresses prepared for the face are suitable, but they should not contain aggressive components that dry the skin – salt, lemon juice, alcohol, soda, mustard, vinegar. These products may contain milk, cream, sour cream, egg yolk, honey, base and aromatic oils, vitamins, fruit and vegetable puree, gelatin, yeast.
Self-massage for sagging skin on the neck
Massage helps to effectively tighten the flabby neck at home. It improves microcirculation in the neck area, enhances lymphatic drainage, smoothes the skin, strengthens muscle tone and relieves spasms.
It is necessary to carefully work out the area of the thyroid gland – a hormone-producing organ. Therefore, the use of hardware technology is prohibited in this area. Also, you can’t “swing” your neck in the gym.
Neck massage is performed manually, with soft, smooth movements, from the bottom up. In cosmetic wheat germ oil, olive or baby cream – 1 tbsp. l. – add 2-3 drops of any of the essential oils:
- citrus fruits – lemon, orange or grapefruit;
How to massage the neck and chin:
- Apply the selected composition to the neck and chin. Gently rub it into the skin with stroking movements to work the entire area.
- Stretch the area of the double chin with pinching movements, then pat it with the backs of your palms.
- Massage the neck area with gentle stroking movements.
Gymnastics against sagging skin on the neck
If, after drastic weight loss or over the years, the skin has begun to sag, then neck exercises against laxity will help tighten it and improve its appearance. Regularly, at least 2-3 times a week, we perform face-building together with neck training:
- Before exercising, you need to warm up your neck muscles with a little massage. Work them out by gently patting your décolleté with your fingertips, moving to your chin. Pre-soften hands with natural oil.
- Perform a slow tilt of the head to the left, as close as possible to the shoulder. Then tilt your head to the right.
- Turn your head to the left and then to the right. Without raising your shoulders, touch them with your chin.
- Open your mouth, slowly tilt your head back and close your teeth.
- With hands folded in the lock, support the thrown back head on the back of the head. These exercises for sagging neck skin are designed to strengthen muscles and eliminate sagging skin. Taking your head back, overcome its resistance with your hands.
- Place your palms on your forehead. Bend your head forward, keeping your hands straight.
- Place a pencil or toothpick in your teeth. Draw symbols, numbers or letters in the air – words or signs.
- Stretching your lips forward intensely, pronounce the vowels – “o”, “and”, “y”, “s”.
These simple home exercises for a flabby neck stimulate blood circulation in tissues, increase the supply of nutrients and oxygen to cells. Starting with repetitions 4-5 times, you can gradually increase the load.
From hardware techniques for neck laxity, you can use:
- Photorejuvenation e . After 4–6 treatments at intervals of 14 days, the skin will tighten and look fresh and hydrated.
- Laser nanoperforation . Inflicts controlled microburns with laser flash. In the foci, cell regeneration is enhanced, the production of hyaluronic acid, collagen and elastin is accelerated.
- ELOS-rejuvenation . The combination of light exposure, which triggers photothermolysis and electrical impulses, which have a lifting effect, gives a noticeable result after 5-10 procedures with intervals of 30-45 days between them.
- RF-lifting provides heating of deep layers and twisting of collagen and elastin fibers. As a result, the skin becomes denser and more elastic. The rejuvenation course includes 5-10 sessions with pauses of 5-7 days. Moreover, the effect of the treatment is growing gradually, the final result is visible in a few months.
Chemical and laser peels help to get rid of the laxity of the chin and neck, removing the outer layer of the epidermis, exfoliating dead skin cells, and stimulating tissue regeneration by accelerating the synthesis of collagen and elastin. In this delicate area, surface peeling with fruit acids is used, very rarely – a middle one. The depth of the impact is determined by the cosmetologist on an individual basis.
For a sagging neck, cosmetology recommends “beauty injections” if the aesthetic task is to eliminate dehydration, loss of tone, get rid of small or medium wrinkles. At the same time, there is no pronounced excess of skin and fat deposits on the neck.
From cosmetic procedures against neck laxity are used:
- Mesotherapy , saturating the dermis with hyaluronic acid and a complex of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, activating metabolic processes in tissues, triggering cell renewal. The effect is noticeable after 4-5 treatments.
- Biorevitalization . Saturation of the deep layers of the skin with hyaluronic acid restores tone, tightens and moisturizes, eliminates small wrinkles. A course of 4-5 sessions is carried out at intervals of 3-4 weeks.
- Bio-reinforcement . Creation of a framework by injecting hyaluronic or polylactic acid. The course is 3-4 sessions with pauses of 3-4 weeks. The result lasts for about 3 years.
- Contour plastics . Fills deep and middle wrinkles on the neck with a dense fraction of hyaluronic acid. The effect appears immediately after the procedure and lasts for about a year.
- Plasmolifting – with dry dermis, loss of tone and elasticity, moderate ptosis and fine wrinkle reticules. Course 2-3 sessions at intervals of 14 days.
- Botulinum therapy . Injections of “Botox”, “Dysport” for spasm of platysma – the superficial neck muscle. The effect of one procedure lasts up to 6T8 months.
After 55–60 years, it is possible to remove the sagging skin on the neck only with the help of plastic surgery.
During the correction, the surgeon can choose different methods:
- liposuction – remove excess fat through small incisions using appropriate equipment;
- cervicoplasty – a combination of liposuction with excision of the integument and skin tightening. Then cosmetic stitches are applied;
- platysmoplasty. In difficult cases of tissue sagging, the doctor corrects the neck by excising the skin and muscles.
Prevention of sagging skin on the neck
In order for the skin on the neck and décolleté to retain its youth longer, it is necessary to adhere to important rules – to lead a healthy lifestyle, carefully monitor the skin, maintaining the balance of water and nutrients, regularly perform massage and gymnastics, strengthening the tone of the muscles of the neck and the whole body.
To align posture and eliminate a double chin, place a book on your head and walk around the room for 5 minutes every day. This is the most effective addition to the complex to improve posture and avoid the formation of a double chin.
Graduated from courses in cosmetology and make-up. He is well versed in the choice of cosmetics, body care, skin and hair. Extensive experience in writing articles on interiors, losing weight, preparing food and drinks. All articles of the author