Our grandmothers in the kitchens in Khrushchev and Soviet panels were engaged in growing kombucha, from which they later made a homemade drink. It was a little sour, but adults and children still drank it to strengthen the immune system. Then they stopped growing the kombucha, the fashion for it passed. Nowadays, stores selling food for healthy people sell a drink called kombucha. This is the same kombucha with a different name.
The benefits of kombucha
Kombucha is considered a superfood that appeared in Europe and Russia from the United States, but in the post-Soviet space this is not a new trend. In the Soviet Union, homemade kombucha was made using kombucha. This yellow drink included vitamins and antioxidants. Only then it was not carbonated, and now the manufacturers make this kombucha that way. And bottles with similar food for healthy people look much nicer. Kombucha looked awful in a three-liter jar, so the kids didn’t feel like drinking.
Doctors note that it contains enzymes, polyphenols, vitamins of groups B and C, amino acids, gluconic and lactic acids. Kombucha should be drunk to ease the course of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, strengthen the immune system, and get rid of heartburn. Nutritionists note that this drink is rich in acetic acid and polyphenols. It is these substances that contribute to rapid weight loss.
This substance is made up of yeast and vinegar bacteria, which together process sugar and make homemade kombucha. You can buy ready-made kombucha growing kits online. More often, people pinch off a piece of mushroom from relatives or friends, and also grow it on their own.
The last option is budgetary and long-lasting, but it will be a guarantee that the product is harmless to use.
You will need:
- 3 liter glass jar. It must be washed, but it is forbidden to use detergents. It is better to sterilize the jar.
- Half a liter of boiling water.
- Sugar – 7 tablespoons.
- Black tea (large leaf) 0.5 tablespoons.
- Gauze – needed to protect the drink from midges, dust, harmful substances.
- Pour boiling water over black tea, add sugar, stir to completely dissolve sugar.
- Strain through cheesecloth into a jar when the tea has cooled.
- Cover the jar with several layers of gauze, fix it on the neck, put it in a warm place. It is important that the can is kept in the dark and where no one will touch it. A fungus that grows is easily damaged and may die.
- After 7 days, it will carry vinegar from the jar, a thin film forms on the surface. This is how the kombucha is formed.
- The normal mass will be formed in 1.5-2 months, only then sweet black tea is added to the jar. The procedure must be repeated every 5-7 days.
- With a mushroom thickness of 1-1.5 cm, the tea is carefully drained from the jar, and the mushroom itself is transferred to a bowl. It must be rinsed in boiled water.
- Rinse the jar, pour black sweet tea, put the mushroom, cover with gauze.
Homemade kombucha will be ready to eat in one week.
Did you like kombucha drink as a child?