The “garden therapy” is in fashion. Behind this expression lies a phenomenon that our grandmothers have known for a long time : caring for the plants, it’s good for you. The scientific studies flourish to emphasize the virtues of health this activity is millennium : the gardening fight against the anxiety, keeps the depression at a distance, and helps to maintain a body mass index (BMI) reasonable, slows down the cognitive decline… In short, pamper her plants allows you to live longer and in better health. No need to garden : according to an american study, gardening is also beneficial with pot plants on a balcony or in an apartment.
I am hyperstressed: the best plants for me to appease
The indoor plant to adopt. On a desk or a window sill, the fern of Boston (or néphrolépis) grows in clump provided : its long, serrated leaves evoke the forest and the wilderness. A companion meditation that invites you to let go of the face of the hectic pace of everyday life… Easy to maintenance, it was a party between 1 and 3 times per week : it survives even the most head-in-the air !
The plants to cultivate :
- Lavender. Essential in a medicinal garden, it also grows very well in pots, on a balcony, on condition of exposing in the sun – as in Provence ! Slightly sedative tea made of lavender soothes the states nervous.
How to prepare an herbal tea of lavender ? Leave to infuse for 1 c. c. of dried flowers, or fresh in 1 cup of boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Drink up to 3 cups per day.
- The roman chamomile. When the stress is accompanied by abdominal pain and/or disorders of the appetite, are grown rather the roman chamomile antispasmodic and relaxing. This medicinal plant grows in the shade (in the open ground or in a pot) and it is necessary for the weeding regularly.
How to prepare a bath of chamomile ? Infuse 60 grams of flowers in 1 liter of boiling water for 5-10 minutes and then pour the infusion into the bath water. A remedy that is suitable for both children and adults.
The boost aroma. Soothing, the essential oil ofylang-ylang (Cananga odorata extra totum) is known to regulate blood pressure. In diffusion, it has a floral scent – be careful, it can become a heady space in a poorly ventilated area. It is contraindicated in pregnant women under the age of 3 months.
I lack of tone : the plants ideal to regain energy
The indoor plant to adopt. In Greek mythology, the god Pothos is the manifestation of the desire : because it grows very quickly and it is shiny foliage, the plant of the same name is a symbol of vitality. Attention : the pothos (also called the ” ivy of the devil “) must be installed in height, as its leaves are toxic to cats and dogs !
The plants to cultivate :
- Peppermint. Invasive in the garden, it adapts very well to pot-culture – in half-shade on a balcony or a window ledge. The syrup of peppermint does not have the contraindications of the essential oil : it fights against the persistent fatigue.
The recipe of the syrup of peppermint. Allow to steep 2 handfuls of leaves in ½ liter of water overnight, strain and then add 200 g of sugar and bring to a boil. At each meal, dilute a capful of syrup in a large glass of water.
- The sariette. Has privilege in the event of a “kick bar” passenger. Unknown, this aromatic plant (that can be cultivated in pot : be careful, it does not tolerate excess moisture) is tonic and invigorating. In foot bath, it provides a boost welcome.
How to prepare a foot bath with savoury ? Allow to steep 1 tablespoon of leaves and flowers in 1 quart of warm water for 10 minutes and then soak your feet for 15-20 minutes.
The boost aroma. With its fresh scent and its stimulating properties of the immunity and the nervous system, the essential oil of ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora L.) hunting quickly fatigue. In broadcasting, it is against-indicated in pregnant women and breast-feeding as well as in individuals who suffer from respiratory allergies or asthma.
I’m depressed easily : the best plants for to find the morale
The indoor plant to adopt. With its heart-shaped leaves, its pink flowers, which open at the end of the summer and its long stems intertwined, the Ceropegia (or “string of hearts”) is an ode to the love – of others and of oneself ! Very resistant, this plant hanging in front of a window is perfect for gardeners beginners.
The plants to cultivate :
- Rosemary. It has the reputation of protecting the plants in the garden against insects. The macerate of rosemary, well known in naturopathy, is both a tonic and a regulator of mood.
The recipe macerate rosemary. Allow to infuse for 3 weeks, a handful of young shoots of rosemary in a mixture composed of equal parts of spring water, vegetable glycerine and fruit alcohol. Then take 5 drops 2 times per day for 3 weeks to chase away the blahs. A remedy is forbidden to pregnant women ; do not repeat treatment without medical advice.
- Sage. Easy to grow in pot (e.g. in the kitchen), it is more specifically aimed at women. Thanks to its hormonal action, decoction of sage alleviates depression in menstrual period as well as the mood swings characteristic of the menopause.
The recipe for sage tea. Leave to infuse for 1 c. c. of the leaves in 150 mL of boiling water for 10 minutes and drink hot. Take up to 3 cups per day for a maximum of 3 weeks : this remedy is prohibited in the case of cancer hormonodépendant and in breast-feeding women.
The boost aroma. The essential oil of sweet orange (Citrus sinensis) supports the moral with a gentle diffusion in the room (from the 4th month of pregnancy), it also helps to find a deep and restful sleep.
I don’t trust in me
The indoor plant to adopt. Native to the tropical jungles, the calathea is an invitation to take on his personality. This houseplant (which likes warm, moist environments : for example, a bathroom) is not afraid to take up space : each evening, the leaves in the symmetrical motifs are recovering… Nice message.
The plants to cultivate :
- The aigremoine. Belonging to the directory of the Bach Flowers, this plant helps to be yourself, especially when the lack of self-esteem is hidden behind a smiling mask.
The elixir flower aigremoine. In a transparent glass bowl, soak 5 stems of aigremoine for 4 hours in full sun. Half fill a jar with this macerate and fill with brandy bio. Then fill a 30-ml flask with brandy bio and add 2 drops of the mixture previous. Take 2 drops per day, in the morning. A remedy is forbidden to pregnant women and nursing mothers.
- The California poppy. The eschscholtzia (or California poppy) fight against the feeling of being constantly on the alert : these pretty flowers with gold (that will grow well in a pot but do not like to be moved) give a peaceful sleep, relax muscles and chase away the worries permanent.
The decoction of eschscholtzia. Infuse 1 teaspoon of dried plant in 150 ml boiling water for 15 minutes and drink up to 3 cups per day. In children from the age of 6, ½ of cup before bedtime keeps the nightmares at a distance. A remedy against-indicated in pregnant women and breast-feeding and in case of glaucoma.
The boost aroma. As a true concentrate of vitality, theessential oil of lemon (Citrus limon) balance the nervous system, clears the ideas, boosts morale and gives energy for the whole day. In diffusion, it is prohibited before the 4th month of pregnancy
“Everyone has a green thumb”
3 questions to Adeline Gadenne , journalist specialized in the plant world.
Get gardening, for what ?
“In our lives often hyper-stressed, and we need to reconnect to the plant world – they are our roots ! Have a plant at home (even inside) it is to reconnect with the values-base of humanity : patience and attention to others. In addition to all the benefits of gardening demonstrated by the Science, adopt a green plant, it is the first step of a work on oneself to get rid of the superfluous and to go back to basics.”
How to choose a plant ?
“In gardening, first you have to make trusted to your favorites : unconsciously, you already know what plant you need!!! Then, think pragmatic : the plant on which you’ve got your eye could it be pleasing to you, depending on the brightness of your apartment and your life-style ? Please do not hesitate to seek the advice of a pro. Also think of the ” barter of plants “, a trend that thrives on social networks and which consists in exchanging plants with other enthusiasts.”
How to take care of a plant ?
“You need to get rid of a preconceived idea tough : everybody has the green hand ! To take care of a plant, it is enough to simply be attentive : water only when the soil is dry, change it up if you find it damaged, pot-as soon as its roots out of the pot… On the social networks, tutorials and “gardening” are many : not as an excuse not to try.”
(1) the co-author of My book cocooning with plants (Adeline Gadenne and Vanessa Bozec, ed Solar).
5 rules of Feng Shui to comply with
Harmonize the circulation of energy at home, it is the principle of Feng Shui, an art of taoist from the same family as the traditional chinese medicine. The 5 rules to respect :
• The angles and corners are reservoirs of negative energy : Feng Shui masters recommend to install a plant on each edge of the piece of furniture and in every corner of the room.
• Plants yang (with pointed leaves : yucca, aloe vera…) activate the flow of energy : one of the favorite parts of activity like the kitchen or the office.
• Plants yin (with round leaves or foliage that falls back : fern, calathea…) attenuate the flow of energy : they are preferred in rooms.
• In the living room (like the living room or the dining room), we mix the plants yin and yang for a warm but non-conducive to enervation.
• To avoid : dried flowers that “block” the energies, the bonsai, which lead to a stagnation of energy and cacti which, in Feng Shui, symbolize aggressiveness.
The ally against indoor pollution
Hyper-easy to grow, the dragon tree of MadagascarDracaena marginata or dragon marginé) is a champion against the pollution of indoor air. This shrub which can reach 2 metres in height absorbs the particles from the smoke cigarettes and fumes from cleaning products (benzene and formaldehyde) but also the carbon monoxide (which is produced in particular in the kitchen) and the toxic molecules emitted by certain glues, lacquers and paints (toluene, xylene, and trichloroethylene). In a kitchen, a bedroom or even a bathroom, the dragon like even in the shade : it cleans the leaves with a soft cloth and water it 2 times a week.