Olive oil for hair is a healing remedy. It helps relieve itchy skin caused by excessive dryness, strengthen damaged, weakened strands, saturate hair follicles with nutrients and get rid of brittle, excised ends.
The myth that olive oil masks are only good for dry hair is wrong. They can be successfully used for oily strands, but the rules must be followed.
Thanks to the growth of olive groves on the mountain slopes in the Mediterranean countries, a unique set of vitamins, minerals and unsaturated fatty acids is formed in the composition of the trees. By cold pressing the vegetable raw materials, balanced components enter the oil, promoting mutual assimilation. If you use high-quality olive oil to improve the appearance and health of your hair, then they are enriched:
- polyunsaturated fatty acids omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9… These bioactive substances give hair a rebirth – restore its structure from roots to ends. As a result of the healing effect, elasticity, silkiness and volume appear. The hair is noticeably transformed and glows with health;
- palmitic and palmitoleic acid, thanks to which the hydrolipid balance of the scalp and hair is restored;
- stearic acidthat helps to soften the hair, make it obedient, give elasticity to the rods, restore barrier functions;
- vitamin Econtributing to the rejuvenation of the scalp and hair, thanks to its antioxidant properties. Penetrating into the structure of hairs, it triggers recovery processes, moisturizes from the inside, preventing the rods from drying out and falling out. Vitamin of youth and beauty also stimulates blood microcirculation, saturating follicles with oxygen and nutrients;
- vitamin Kactivating mineral and lipid metabolism;
- phytosterolsthat normalize the function of the sebaceous glands and have an antiseptic effect;
- retinol, which maintains the elasticity of the dermis and promotes the synthesis of collagen fibers, enhances hair growth and protects them from exposure to ultraviolet rays. It also normalizes sebum production and prevents dermal dehydration.
Olive hair mask is suitable in cases when it looks weakened, and also:
- fall out hard;
- grow back slowly;
- split and break; more about split ends →
- suffer from excessive dryness;
- quickly salted;
- need special care and recovery after aggressive procedures – perm and dyeing.
It is also helpful to apply olive oil to your hair if you are concerned about dandruff and seborrhea. It will help to overcome the disease. It is often used to lighten curls.
Which oil to choose?
The benefits of using olive oil for hair depends on the type of healthy product chosen. Each of them differs in the raw materials from which it is made and the method of obtaining:
- Olio sansa or Olio pomace marks the lowest-grade product made from oilcake, fragments of peeled pulp. The resulting extract is purified and a little high quality Extra virgin is added to add flavor.
- Olio rafine means that the container contains extra-class refined olive oil, from which most of the dry sediment has been removed. It is intended for cooking; the benefits of such a product in cosmetology are very small.
- Extra virgin or Olio di vergine is the label for the highest quality product obtained from selected raw materials by cold pressing the seeds under the press. Such a product has a beneficial effect on the scalp and hair if used in pure form or as part of homemade masks. It is the unrefined Exta virgin olive oil that is best suited for all hair types.
According to the advice of experts, if there is a choice of the country of origin, then it is better to purchase a Greek product. Oil labeled “bio” or “geographically tested” is ideal. This type of olive extract is marketed only from ecologically clean places with the appropriate certificate.
In second place in terms of quality and prestige is olive oil from Italy and Spain. Experts advise choosing Tuscany or Umbria from the regions of production. The acidity of the purchased product should not exceed 0.8%.
To get the most out of the procedure, use olive oil for your hair warm, heated to 37 ° C. This will help accelerate the oil saturation of the scalp, follicles and shafts. Further:
- It is applied to clean, slightly damp hair, treating it with a comb or a comb with rare teeth in the direction from the ends to the roots. They retreat 5-7 cm from the bottom and comb the curls, moistening them with warm olive extract.
- After processing, the head is wrapped in a plastic bag, and wrapped on top in a warm soft towel.
- It is kept for about 30-60 minutes, and then washed off twice or three times with shampoo under warm running water, if necessary adding neutralizing additives – vinegar, citric acid, onion juice or soda.
An olive oil wrap for hair overnight is best done with cinnamon powder or cinnamon oil:
- for 2 tbsp. l. olive oil – 2-3 drops of cinnamon oil. It is necessary to pre-test the product for allergies by dropping it on the skin behind the ear. If itching, burning and other discomfort does not appear during the day, then it can be applied.
- for 4 st. l. olive oil – 1-2 tsp. dry cinnamon powder. This remedy will require a similar allergy test.
Spread the mixture evenly over the rods, avoiding roots. Then cover with a plastic bag and wrap with a terry towel. In 6-7 hours a noticeable effect will be achieved – the hair will become elastic and resilient.
Wash off the mask with warm or slightly hot water:
- to remove, use a regular shampoo, after foaming it with your palms;
- then it is applied to the root area of the hair, continuing to actively foaming the product. It will not be possible to get abundant foam, but the one that forms at the roots must be lowered along the strands to the very ends;
- then the head is washed under an abundant stream of water. If complete cleansing has not occurred, then the procedure is repeated 1-2 more times.
You can qualitatively eliminate the oil film using:
- pre-rinsing with mustard water before shampooing. Prepare a solution based on 1 liter of hot liquid – 2 tbsp. l. mustard powder. This recipe is perfect for oily and dry curls;
- for oily strands, you can use baking soda. One part of the substance is mixed with three parts of shampoo. This composition is applied to the hair, and then washed off with plenty of warm or hot water.
Recipes containing olive oil are a real salvation for hair. With their help, they strengthen and moisturize the strands, give them a lively shine, make them flexible, silky.
Masks with olive oil for damaged hair
An olive oil mask for hair loss is made from:
- 1 tbsp. l. olive product;
- 20 ml of water or milk;
- 10 g yeast;
- vitamins A and E – 1 ampoule.
Dilute dry yeast with water for oily strands or milk for dry ones. Set aside for half an hour for fermentation. Add the rest of the ingredients while heating the oil. This mask is kept under a film and a towel for 45-60 minutes.
For dry strands 2 tbsp. l. warm olive oil is combined with 1 tsp. honey and puree from half an avocado. Keep the mask on your head for 20-30 minutes.
Olive oil for parched or split hair ends in an amount of 50 ml is mixed with 50 ml of liquid honey and 1-2 chicken yolks. The ends are treated with the composition, then kept for 30-40 minutes and washed off abundantly.
Masks with olive oil for dry hair
Olive oil is a panacea for dry hair:
- Add 20 g of cocoa powder to 100 ml of warm olive oil and pour in the contents of 1 capsule of vitamin A. Leave the treated hair under a cap and towel for 30-40 minutes, then rinse.
- Mix chopped banana pulp with 150 ml of kefir and pour in 1.5 tbsp. l. warm olive oil. Apply to dry strands, put on a shower cap, wrap with a towel. After 30-35 minutes, wash off.
Masks with olive oil for oily hair
Use olive oil for oily hair in combination with lemon juice. You can add egg white, clay, seaweed powder, mustard, or pepper. To moisturize problem hair, experts advise applying an olive mask mainly to the scalp and roots of the strands. The rods should be treated with the composition in moderation, otherwise the volume of the hairstyle will disappear, and the hair will look heavy, greasy and sloppy. Most masks with olive oil for oily strands contain adsorbents – salt, coffee, clay and others.
Mix in a container:
- heated olive oil – 1 tbsp l .;
- aloe juice – 1 tbsp. l .;
- honey – 1 tbsp. l .;
- cinnamon powder – 2 tbsp. l.
Apply the third part of the composition to the hair roots, dividing the hair with parting. Massage the product with your fingertips to help absorb it into the skin. Lower the remaining mask to the ends of the strands and walk with massaging movements. Wash off after 2 hours.
A mask with a coffee decoction is good for any, including oily strands, since coffee is able to adsorb excess sebum – sebum:
- From 20 g of dry coffee powder and 60 ml of water, boil a concentrated drink and strain, removing the thick. It can be used to scrub the skin, but it is difficult to remove from the hair.
- Mix warm coffee broth with 2 tbsp. l. heated olive oil
- With the resulting product, treat the hair roots.
- Distribute the rest of the mixture on curls.
- After 50-60 minutes, wash off.
Masks with olive oil for hair growth
Olive oil for hair growth is heated in a steam bath in the amount of 2 tbsp. l. It is mixed with diluted mustard syrup – 1 tbsp. l. mustard add 1 tbsp. l. sugar and diluted with warm water into a mushy mass. They process the hair roots with it and distribute it along the entire length. After 25-40 minutes, wash off. But if a strong burning sensation appears, then the procedure should be stopped and the remnants of the product should be removed with warm water and shampoo.
For the growth of oily strands, you can mix:
- 2 parts olive oil
- one – freshly squeezed lemon juice.
The product is kept under a compress for 40-60 minutes, then washed off.
Anti-dandruff masks with olive oil
For 100 g of green clay powder you need to take:
- 1 tbsp. l. cinnamon;
- 1 yolk;
- 40 ml of olive oil (2 tbsp. L.);
- a pinch of hot red pepper;
- boiled water to get a mushy consistency.
This hair strengthening mask with olive oil is stirred in a non-metallic container – glass, wood, ceramic, plastic, silicone or porcelain bowl.
Apply to dry strands before shampooing, comb and cover. After 35-45 minutes, wash off.
To remove dandruff from dry strands and prevent its reappearance, a composition of:
- 1 tbsp. l. olive oils;
- 1 tbsp. l. castor oil;
- 2-3 drops of aromatic oil of lemon or any citrus – grapefruit, orange.
Keep the mask under a compress for 35-40 minutes. It must be borne in mind that this product will have to be washed off many times.
Passion for the use of olive oil without measure leads to an undesirable effect: the lush volume is lost, the hair becomes heavy and unattractive. Their treatment with a healing drug should be in moderation – no more than 1-2 times a week. The first noticeable results usually appear after a 30-day course of regular cosmetic procedures.
Useful video about olive oil for hair