The posture corrector is a back orthopedic device designed to restore the correct functioning of all parts of the spine. And this is necessary for the optimal functioning of the internal organs, which have a common innovation with the intervertebral discs. Corsets are especially in demand in childhood and adolescence, when the formation of the musculoskeletal system occurs.
The doctor chooses a corset for posture individually for a small or adult patient. First of all, it focuses on its design and wearing comfort. The degree of spinal deformity is also important.
Good posture is not only a sign of strong and at the same time elastic muscles located near the spine and ribs. This is the correct work of one of the parts of the central nervous system, which is responsible for the position of the body at rest and during movement. In order for a person’s back to always be even, to withstand even increased loads, signals from muscles constantly come to the brain. They are also generated by the ligamentous-tendon apparatus, spinal roots.
It is the improvement of innervation that occurs in the process of wearing a back brace from stoop. At the same time, there is a redistribution of loads on various parts of the spine – cervical, thoracic, lumbosacral. The result is muscle relaxation, elimination of painful tension.
The spinal axis is shifted to a physiological position, which has a beneficial effect on posture. Now the muscles are not busy with the constant maintenance of the body, so their condition improves. A fairly rapid formation of a strong muscular corset is noted.
In pharmacies and medical stores, orthopedic corsets are presented in a wide range. There are several of their classifications, which are actively used by neurologists, rheumatologists, pediatricians, vertebrologists, orthopedists when choosing a device. First of all, they differ in rigidity:
- Elastic posture correctors do not constrain movement, are invisible under clothes. But their use is shown only to children, and for adults such devices are useless.
- Semi-rigid posture correctors more reliably support the spine in the anatomical position. Nevertheless, a person in it can bend over, turn the body from side to side.
- Posture corrector with stiffeners is able to fix the vertebrae and discs in such a way that any displacement of them requires some effort. Such correction devices are usually used for severe deformities or in the postoperative period.
The method of posture straightening largely depends on the localization of the source of the problem – an incorrectly inserted vertebra, inflammatory or degenerative pathology. Therefore, slouching corsets are classified according to the area of increased muscle tension.
They are thoracic and thoracic-lumbar. In neurology, corrective corsets are divided into the following types:
- reclinators – devices for the formation of correct posture, which are produced in the form of a vest tightly fitting to the body;
- corsets for posture correction in the form of wide ribbons or fabric structures with fixing elements;
- magnetic posture correctors for adults equipped with a device for emitting magnetic waves;
- electronic corsets for posture correction, the design of which includes a sensor to remind a person to straighten up.
Corsets are for men, women, children, designed for periodic or regular wear. They are durable, wear resistant. Wearing some will straighten your posture for a month, while using others will require six months or more.
Indications and contraindications
The stoop corset is designed to restore the correct position of the vertebrae and intervertebral discs. Its use is most effective in children who have a certain amount of cartilage in the skeleton. In adults, posture correction with this device is not always successful. Their cartilaginous structures are ossified, so correction is possible only with minor violations. For example, posture correction is noted with a stoop that appears due to a long stay at a desk or computer.
The wearing of corsets for posture correction is indicated for inflammatory or degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the spine. These are spondyloarthrosis, osteochondrosis of various localization, intervertebral hernia, ankylosing spondylitis, uncovertebral syndrome. The use of the corrector makes the back straight, which eliminates the compression of sensitive nerve endings.
The benefits of a posture corrector far outweigh the potential harm. He has few contraindications and they are all relative. Do not wear the device if the skin is damaged in the places where it fits the body. These include allergic, herpetic eruptions, local manifestations of infections of bacterial or fungal origin.
Overview of the most popular models
The best posture corrector is the one that will provide proper support for the spine, eliminate the violations that have arisen as soon as possible. At the same time, it does not rub the skin, absorbs moisture well and allows air to pass through. What does the rating of proofreaders from domestic and foreign manufacturers look like:
- Thoracolumbar-sacral corset Orto (from 4200 rubles).Long-lasting, wear-resistant, which makes it possible to use it daily for a long time. The corrector accelerates rehabilitation after injuries or operations, corrects posture. Quite voluminous, therefore more suitable for men.
- F-14 orthopedic reclinator (from 950 rubles). Provides the necessary fixation of the shoulders, reduces the load on the back muscles. Made of soft, breathable material, usually tops the rating of posture correctors.
- Reinforced RWA 5200 (from 6000 rubles). The corrector provides back support with additional stiffening ribs. The design also includes double lateral elastic-elastic ties. This semi-rigid corrector is available for both women and men.
The choice of posture correcting corsets is huge. And the cost of a model is not always a guarantee of high quality. Many cheap devices have proven to be excellent in the treatment of curvature of the spine.
To make wearing the posture corrector as comfortable as possible, you should entrust your choice to the doctor. Only in this case, painless return of all vertebral structures to the anatomically correct position is possible. In addition, the range of orthopedic posture correctors is so wide that it is quite difficult for a person without medical education to navigate it.
To find the right device, the doctor examines the radiographs. It takes into account the type of disease, congenital or acquired anomaly, the degree of curvature of the spine.
What else does the doctor focus on when choosing a posture corrector corset:
- The size. Orthopedic devices for a child cannot be purchased for growth. The size of the posture corrector should correspond to the girth of the chest, waist and back height;
- Material. Mainly corsets for posture correction, containing a certain amount of synthetics, keep the back well in anatomical position. But most must be made from natural materials.
A vest-like posture straightening corset is rarely used to straighten the back. Thoracic and thoracolumbar tissue correctors are preferred by orthopedists and neurologists. For posture formation, it is better to choose semi-rigid structures equipped with plastic rings, plates or knitting needles.
If you choose the right corset, then its operation will not cause difficulties. The standard device should be worn in a standing position with the back as straight as possible. At the initial stage, the corrector is attached to the waist with elastic straps or Velcro fasteners. Then wide straps are applied to the shoulders in such a way as to exclude excessive pressure. Their tension is regulated by straps, which are fixed on the belt.
The first fitting of the posture correction belt takes place in the doctor’s office. He explains the principles of the forthcoming therapy, determines the individual mode of wearing. In the first week, the posture corset is worn no more than two hours a day. This is necessary for the adaptation of the spine to the redistribution of loads. Each week, the usage time is increased by an hour until it is 6 hours. And then they also smoothly reduce it. In total, the corrector should be worn for about 4-6 months, depending on the degree of spinal deformity.
Do corsets help posture? Of course, especially in childhood and adolescence. This is the only method of straightening the back without surgery. The inconvenience of wearing correctors is possible only in the first days. And then the person gets used to the imperceptible support of the spine and its ligamentous-tendon apparatus.
Useful video about posture correctors
List of sources:
- Skoblin A.A. Orthotics in the complex of treatment of idiopathic scoliosis // Spine surgery. 2005. No. 4.
- Tesakov Dmitry Kimovich Corset treatment of children and adolescents with IV degree spinal deformities // Spine Surgery. 2010. No. 2.