What can hurt in the left side
The left side, in particular the area around the waist, is a vast area where not only muscles are located, but also some segments of the intestine, stomach, organs of the genitourinary system and more. Discomfort in this area can arise from problems with any of these organs.
In addition, chronic diseases such as hernia, diabetes mellitus, pathologies of the nervous and respiratory systems, blood circulation, and connective tissue can provoke pain in the left side. It is important to pay attention to associated symptoms.
Aching pain in the left side occurs after eating or has nothing to do with it. As a rule, it is provoked by disorders of the internal organs.
An unpleasant syndrome of this nature indicates dozens of diseases, the most common of which are:
- Pancreatic pathologies – pancreatitis (acute), fibrosis, lipomatosis, cystic fibrosis. In such cases, there is a pulling, severe pain in the left side. The symptom is joined by weakness, nausea, stool disorder, colic.
- Spleen problems – cyst, abscess, heart attack. The pain is sharp, radiating to the hypochondrium or groin (in case of volvulus), aggravated by sighing, moving, lifting weights.
- Inflammatory processes in the kidneys – pyelonephritis and nephritis – manifest themselves as pulling pain in the abdomen and lower back.
- Disorders in the digestive system: colitis, Crohn’s disease, appendicitis and others. In these cases, the pain is localized in the lower abdomen on the left.
- Heart disease – ischemia and cardiomyopathy.
The critical state of the body is expressed by acute pain in the left side. When this happens, you cannot hesitate to see a doctor. This symptom may indicate:
- Pathology of the pelvic organs.
- Inflammation of the bladder, its expansion.
- Ectopic pregnancy. The rupture of the tube is accompanied by pain in the lower lateral abdomen.
- Possible miscarriage.
- Stomach ulcer.
- Spleen ruptured.
- Ovarian rupture.
- Kidney fever.
Tingling in the side is an unpleasant symptom that can be tolerated until the discomfort develops into pain. As the safest type of pain, sometimes they overtake even healthy people, for example, after active exertion, running, playing sports. After the intense exercise stops, the pain also stops.
But if for a long time the stomach on the left hurts and hurts, this can be regarded as a sign of diseases such as:
- renal colic;
- perforation of the ulcer;
- inflammation of the stomach;
- ulceration of the tissues of the ureter or bowel loops;
- angina pectoris;
- myocardial infarction and others.
Periodically or constantly, a person may be disturbed by unpleasant sensations when there is a dull pain in the hypochondrium. If it is accompanied by heartburn, nausea and vomiting, then it may indicate the development of peptic ulcer disease.
Drawing pains radiating to the left hand indicate problems with the spleen. Dull aching pains in the left side of the abdomen in women may indicate inflammatory processes in the tubes of the uterus or ovaries.
In addition, a similar reaction of the body is observed when:
Pain in the left side, front and back
When pain arose in the left side in front and is localized at the level of the waist, under the ribs, this indicates a pathology of various etiologies:
- Unpleasant sensations in the left hypochondrium in front provoke diseases of the digestive tract.
- If the discomfort is localized under the ribs, stomach tissue damage may be to blame.
- When it hurts on the left at the waist, but a little in front, a spleen disease can be suspected. Clinical manifestations appear at an advanced stage, therefore hematomas are added to the symptoms.
- When the pain is displaced to the center, a combination of gastric pathologies with diseases of the gallbladder and duodenum is possible.
Sometimes the pain on the left side is given to the lower back – it hurts from behind. Spasms of muscles, blood vessels, pinching of nerves cause similar sensations. If the spine hurts, pain is concentrated in the waist area.
But other pathologies, and the most serious ones, also become the culprits of the syndrome. These include:
- a problem with the left kidney;
- myocardial infarction;
- aortic aneurysm (accompanied by back shots);
- pathology of the digestive organs (pain increases while eating);
- renal artery thrombosis;
- retroperitoneal hematoma and others.
Pain in the left side during pregnancy
During the period of bearing a child, a woman may be disturbed by pain sensations of a different nature and intensity. The body is under stress, and the growing fetus is increasingly causing discomfort.
If the side on the left periodically hurts, this may indicate the presence of diseases of the internal organs (presented above), but sometimes it occurs due to natural phenomena – for example, a malfunction in the intestines. Mechanical pressure on its loops, stagnation of food and an increase in the hormone progesterone lead to flatulence, which is manifested by pain.
The only way to relieve constant severe pain in the left side at the waist level is to see a doctor for help. Having carefully studied the nature of spasms and their localization, the doctor will be able to identify the provocateur of the pathology and eliminate it in a timely manner, avoiding repeated attacks and possible complications.
Source : shkolazhizni.ru